• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1886 Indian Head Cent Type II

2 posts in this topic

I'm afraid I'm struggling to know what do do with this coin - its an 1886 Indian Head Cent of the Type II variety and I'm unsure whether to send it for grading. I've never really doubted its authenticity until I weighed it recently and it came in at 2.89g, not too distant from the expected 3.11g , but still far enough to niggle at me for some reason. I understand the official tolerance for this coin is +/- 0.29g, apparently this is guidance fromthe US Mint, although I read it second hand. Its certainly not down to wear so it could only have been something that occured when originally minted? Or is it  fake / counterfeit? How would the graders interpret this and what colour would they call it - the pictures I feel reflect the tone as it is in reality, so what you see is what you get. The last thing I want to do is send this in and end  up with it being handed back. I'd be grateful for any opinions/advice I can get - I'm a relative newbie to this and I've never sent a coin in for grading before, hence my uncertainty.

1886 Indian Head Cent (1).JPG

1886 Indian Head Cent (2).JPG

1886 Indian Head Cent (7).jpg

1886 Indian Head Cent (8).jpg

• Administrator

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to tell via images but the coin does appear to be genuine. We would need to see it in hand to make a proper determination. To submit coins for grading you can become a paid member of our collector society or submit through an NGC authorized dealer. Both options can be found at the link below. 

https://www.ngccoin.com/submit-coins/how-to-submit.aspx