• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2007 D Washington Dollar "ROTATED DIES" Mint Error - NGC MS65

8 posts in this topic

Back in 2007, when all the hype on the Missing Edge Letters was going on with the new President Gold Dollars, I thought why not and took a chance and bought a roll.  Immediately, I saw all mine had edge lettering - then I saw people on ebay offering "Position A" and "Position B" edge letters and calling the Position B lettered edges "rare(r)" and thus were commanding a slight premium.  So why not.  I put them all into 2X2 flips and began scanning obv and rev.  I was about 2/3s through the roll when I flipped the obv over after a scan and scanned the rev and WOE!!!  That isn't right!  Had I not been scanning these, I would never have probably noticed this.  Susan Headley wrote about my coin in the New York Times "AboutCoins.com" and then I sent off to NGC to get graded.  It is even pictured on the NGC website.  https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/459/  (It's "photo 8")

So.  Are there ANY OTHERS OUT THERE?  I have seen some slightly rotated dies - John Adams and a Jefferson - but never seen another Washington.  Graded MS65, just curious what anyone thinks.  

NGC OBV.jpg

NGC REV.jpg

Whelp, there's one for sale on Ebay right now, also a 65 and seller claims only 3 or 4 known.  I've seen them offered raw, but don't collect them.  I was a bulk submitter ATS when I picked up several rolls 3 plus weeks before the official release.

I wish that errors were tracked in the census, so we could answer questions like this. 

That looks like a pretty significant rotation, which is cool. Not sure what sort of premium it would fetch, however. 

Hi, casman - do you have a link to that auction?  I saw several missing edge lettering, but couldn't find the rotated die error you spoke of.  I'd sure like to watch that auction :)  Thanks and physics-fan, When Susan Headley wrote about this, she explained that acceptable tolerances for rotating dies are ~15 degrees max and above that, there is a significant problem with the press and at this coin's 93 degrees, she hypothesized that there would have been a rather loud bang of a die breaking and stopping the press and this coin would have been 'popped' into the large bin to escape scrutiny.  I hope it's worth a lot!!

I'd guess the stated pop is a guess or the seller had 4 of them, and is misstating a bit.  I do recall seeing them offered raw.  Error service is a bit pricey.  It's a significant rotation for sure.

15 hours ago, CoinClocks said:

she hypothesized that there would have been a rather loud bang of a die breaking and stopping the press and this coin would have been 'popped' into the large bin to escape scrutiny.  I hope it's worth a lot!!

Or they simply ground the mounting flat on the wrong section of the die.  In that case there could be two or three hundred thousand of them out there from this die.  (That may sound like a lot but it is still less than .2% of the mintage of the 2007 D washington dollars.)

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:05 AM, CoinClocks said:

So.  Are there ANY OTHERS OUT THERE?  I have seen some slightly rotated dies - John Adams and a Jefferson - but never seen another Washington.  Graded MS65, just curious what anyone thinks.  

Errors, presumably being mistakes resulting random chance, are scarce or rare by definition.  There is nothing significant in the scarcity of any error.

Whether any particular error is significant to enough collectors to have a strong price just depends upon how error collectors collect and others use these coins as supplements to their collections.  Looking at the Heritage archives, most seem to be worth up to the mid three figures. 

I don't know how errors collectors assemble sets.   I presume most of the lower priced coins are owned by those who found it ungraded or bought isolated examples for the novelty.  A few are very expensive but these are rare as a type - classic designs - or included in some reference such as the Red Book.