• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When/how do know how many coins are made each year

2 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I'm a newbie who has recently purchased some coins and loving my new hobby/ interest in coins. My question is does the mint release how many coins are being made each year ahead of time? I recently bought a Pf70 2017 gold eagle how do I find out how many were made? I also purchased a congratulations silver eagle 2017? I read articles on 1994 and 1996 silver eagles being rare. was this released ahead of time? Sorry a lot questions 

In general no they don't.  In some cases such as commemoratives or some special limited edition coin the AUTHORIZED mintage is released in advance.  That figure may not be the actual mintage though if the special item doesn't sell out. 

In the cases you mention the 1994 and 1996 silver eagles  the mintages were not announced ahead of time because they were pretty much made to demand and were sold all year.  The 2017 proof gold eagle I believe did have a maximum mintage announced ahead of time.  The 2017 congratulations set mintage was announced ahead of time.