• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm new to 90% gold collecting

6 posts in this topic

The blackening  spotting on this coin is very hard to capture  in a picture. It is on both sides but this picture shows it the best on the eagle's wings.  I bought this 1911 (P) as a XF.  Is this a defect that I should be concerned about? I have the option to return it. I know NEVER to clean coins. The pinkish tinge is a reflection of the neon glow top the female photographer was wearing (and refused to remove) and not really on the coin. I'm only concerned about the blackening. Any input would be appreciated.

IMG_2078R.jpg

Try taking some new photos with better lighting and less obfuscating reflective surfaces. 

In underlit pictures, wear on gold coins can show up as dark spots. I don't see anything immediately concerning here, but it isn't a great pic and I can't get a really good feel for the coin. 

Maybe I've posted in the wrong section. Maybe I'm not explaining it well.

I'm concerned about the "black staining" that appears on the coin. It is very evident on the wing and below the word "trust". It is not caused by the lighting. It is there. I've tried to read up on the subject and understand copper and silver on 90% can cause "blemishes"

My questions are...  
What is it? It looks like mold 
How much could it affect the grade of the coin? I bought this as a XF. From what is visible could  it lower the grade below a XF?

It certainly is not visually appealing. I understand the coin is 116 years old. Am I just expecting too much?  

Oh, I understand what you are asking about. It is not mold - mold will not grow on gold. It is either a bit of dirt from some circulation, or a few minor toning spots. It shows the coin is original and hasn't been cleaned, and is desirable over stripped surfaces. I don't find it unattractive - it is more neutral eye appeal (not great/not bad). 

10 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Oh, I understand what you are asking about. It is not mold - mold will not grow on gold. It is either a bit of dirt from some circulation, or a few minor toning spots. It shows the coin is original and hasn't been cleaned, and is desirable over stripped surfaces. I don't find it unattractive - it is more neutral eye appeal (not great/not bad). 

Thank you for your answer. I feel a lot better. I was going to return it but I guess this kind of "tarnishing" can be expected on a coin that has seen circulation, is not 99.999% and was sold as a XF.  I'm a little bit smarter than I was yesterday. Thanks!

This sort of toning might not lower the technical grade of the coin, but it does make coin less attractive and therefore harder to sell. 

I don't know what you paid for this, but it should be bargain priced. I would not go out of my way to buy gold coins with this type of toning. There are many circulated gold coins available that don't have this look.