• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1964 D Peace Dollars -- do you think any exist?

31 posts in this topic

nwcs:

Apparently the picture was not manipulated because the story said that the coin had been seen by people (Alan Herbert, though I might be wrong) at Numismatic News. And apparently the picture was taken by Numismatic News.

Re the legal status of these coins: I think it's fuzzy. First, the coins were (stupidly) handed out, as I recall by Mint representatives to Congressional representatives and their aides. Is this sufficient to monetize the coins? I don't know because I don't think there is a clear definition of what it takes for a coin to be legally monetized. Second, I don't recall any sort of agreement that legalized specific patterns. I immediately hasten to add that the previous sentence is most likely a comment on my memory rather than anything else! I think there were some laws (perhaps the law passed for clad coinage in 1965?) that inadvertantly perhaps legalized previosuly issued patterns, but I don't recall anything that specifically mentioned patterns.

Personally, I think that the Secret Service's efforts are much better spent doing things other than chasing 1933 Double Eagles, 1964 Peace dollars, and 1974 aluminum cents!

Mark