• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1861 o Seated Half Dollar Fake?

10 posts in this topic

IMG_4404.thumb.jpg.ac8b8b9dccef8447c2ed3c14426f4192.jpgWe need some help on this coin, Thanks.

Same size and weight as a silver half dollar. 30.2 x 2.18mm and 12.4 grams. Sounds the same as silver coin on our counter. I want to send it in to be graded, The edges are completely smooth. A few very faint signs of reeding are visible, very few. We're 50/50 on this one.

Please give us your opinion.

Eddie

IMG_4396.thumb.JPG.ffedd67746e43ec327fe33a6cedea6aa.JPG

IMG_4397.JPG

IMG_4399.jpg

IMG_4402.jpg

IMG_4404.jpg

I don't like it. It just doesn't look right, and there is lump in left field that should not be there. The real thing was generally well made. I don't think that's worth getting graded. Even if it is real, the smooth edges are post mint damage.

The die crack above the head mimics the Confederate strike, but it's too sharp and in the wrong place 

Recently the SL 50c series has been targeted by some very deceptive fakes.  There would be no reason to produce one this "good" and then damage it up so IMO (using borderline images) I say genuine.  The mark above the head looks like a scratch rather than a die break. 

I would not waste a cent getting it checked as some TPGS offer free opinions at shows.  Additionally, there are many professionals to show it to. 

I further suggest that you take new images using florescent light (THE ONLY USEFUL LIGHT FOR AUTHENTICATION).  Then post your coin on Collectors Universe so more folks can see it.    As of now, two qualified numismatists disagree.  :(  

Genuine or not, the 1861-O half dollar is a common date in the series, and given this piece's rim problem, it's not worth spending the grading fee on it. It's only worth the grading fee for the circulated pieces if it is the Confederate strike, and this one most certainly is not.

Nice half, Bill!

As for the other -- former belt buckle.....? I'd call it fake until proven authentic. But even then, it's too 'strange" looking to be of interest to most collectors.