• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beginer on grading Morgans - need advice

3 posts in this topic

I am 62 yrs of age and have just discovered coin collecting.  I wish I had gotten into this early on in my life - what fun this is!  I welcome any advice on how to grade Morgans.  I have seen pics on the internet and tried to understand the subtle changes that authors discuss between AU58 and MS60, but having a hard time distinguishing the two.

Best regards to all

The best thing you can do if you want to learn to grade coins is to read a book that describes and explains exactly what you are looking for. It is good that you are looking at pictures - looking at lots of coins is necessary. However, if you aren't really sure what you are looking at it is difficult to learn much just from pictures. 

There are several books that discuss grading, but I'm partial to one that I wrote a few years ago. I walk through every facet of grading, teach you exactly what to look for, and explain why the coin will look differently based on what has happened to it. I recommend you take a look: https://www.amazon.com/Art-Science-Grading-Coins/dp/1492356107

The other book that will be useful is the ANA Grading Standards. I would not recommend starting here because this book does not explain all the facets of grading in as much detail as I do. Once you understand what you are looking at, this book will be useful to tell you the exact numerical grade of any coin based on its wear patterns: https://www.amazon.com/Official-Standards-American-Numismatic-Association/dp/0794838243

Good luck in your learning quest! 

Photograde application on the PCGS web-site is very good to see some of the differences. Also - going to coin shows and looking at a lot of graded Mogans will help.