• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1769 8 reales - genuine?

3 posts in this topic

Can anyone please help in determining if this 1769 8 reales is genuine or fake from pics if I can download them?

The 1st 2 pics are obverse and reverse naturally. The final 3 pics are of the "engrailing" if I have that term right on the edge. The first two edge pictures show 180 degree opposite ends where the edge dies would have "clashed". The final edge pic shows the "engrailing" the best. 

Any ideas on anything that would help me determine whether this coin is real or fake would be greatly appreciated. And the coin weighs 26.85 grams.

It also appears to have been cleaned quite some time ago would be my guess.

Thank you!

20170823_s-l1600-_5_.jpg

20170823_s-l1600-_6_-ccfopt.jpg

1769- 8 reales-ovb-3-about.jpg

1769-8 reales-pict-edge-2.jpg

1769-8-reales-rim-1.jpg

Nothing jumps right out at me screaming "fake", surfaces seem good, weight seems right.  A specific gravity test might be a good idea, possibly have it shot with an XRF gun to confirm composition.  I'm not an expert on these by any means but it seems good.

Closest thing I have to a problem is the last picture.  The center of the edge is out of focus making it look possibly like a casting seam.

Thanks Conder101 ..If it's cast I know it would be fake. Usually with cast coins I can see a sandy texture in the fields of the coin giving it away. How do I look at the edge and check more about what a casting seam would look like? 

Also, i need to finally figure out how to do a specific gravity test. Not sure if I can do it at home and how difficult it is or what I need.

Thanks again and any more ideas would be great. One other person has told me that the N in HISPAN and IND does not look right in that it doesn't have a full bar or "serif" across the N s at the bottom. the other side does have correct looking N s they said.