• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jefferson Nickel Questions/inventory help

8 posts in this topic

I use coin manage software for my collecting to keep up with my purchases and values of my collection.  I have two coins back from NGC that I am unsure how to place replacement cost value of due to limited existence of similar specimens.  If anyone could help instruct me I would appreciate it.  

2716104-006 - MS-67 - 1948 P Jefferson Nickel- I can not find much pricing on this.  The census information for this grade does not include many examples

2716104-016 - MS-67 - 1943 P Jefferson Nickel -  FS-103 (DDO-013) - sort of same situation.  My software has some default values for the standard MS-67 but not for the variety.

Thanks for your help

High grade coins trade less frequently because they are less common. 

Varieties are often even harder to value. 

As Roger mentions, I would suggest looking at auction archives to see what previous examples sold for. The Heritage Auction archives will probably give you some of the best results, at ha.com

thanks for pointing me to HA.com.  The first nickel only has one listing for a 1948 in MS67 for 763.00.  I just am having a tough time understanding my less than 15 dollar purchase being this disproportionate.  For the second nickel, i am unable to find any record.  there were 209 results that I cycled through.  Once again, thanks for the assist guys!!  I have a feeling, the DDO nickel is hard to find, because there are only a few suckers... me included that pay for attribution for what I must assume is a minor variety

Found this on PCGS

http://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/174688/1948-Jefferson-Nickel-PCGS-MS-67

8 minutes ago, Davids5104 said:

I just am having a tough time understanding my less than 15 dollar purchase being this disproportionate.

Did you buy it raw? The raw coin market and the certified coin market are increasingly disjointed. It is rare to get a really good deal like that - but it can still happen. Did you know that it would grade 67, or did you get lucky? 

Some would argue that the coin is really only worth a fraction of that - the plastic is worth far more. If you were to ever crack it out, $15 is the more realistic price. If you sell it in the slab, however, modern collectors will go crazy for it. 

I acquired it via EBay.  I am working on a toned Jefferson album and purchased this along with a bunch of others at same time.  I am not smart enough to know this was a 67 from the image nor is anyone of course.  I was lucky and only knew it was a nice example once i got in hand, although I did not expect 67.  I took a chance on a bunch of pretty ones and did well on this one.  

ORDER DATE

Apr 15, 2017
ORDER TOTAL
US $3.99
+ US $3.46
shipping
Order 1948 Choice Uncirculated Perimeter Rainbow Toned Nickel in BCW Snap-A Beauty!View similar itemsView seller's other items
1 item sold by east359
1948 Choice Uncirculated Perimeter Rainbow Toned Nickel in BCW Snap-A Beauty!

1948 Choice Uncirculated Perimeter Rainbow Toned Nickel in BCW Snap-A Beauty!
( 322474537667 )

ITEM PRICE:
US $3.99

Both of these are rare. The  1948 has about a dozen graded and has sold between $700 and $1600 for PCGS. The 1943 DDO FS-103 is a pop 6 between PCGS and NGC, with the 67 to be the finest. It would probably be $500 or more.

On 8/2/2017 at 11:49 PM, coinman1794 said:

Both of these are rare. The  1948 has about a dozen graded and has sold between $700 and $1600 for PCGS. The 1943 DDO FS-103 is a pop 6 between PCGS and NGC, with the 67 to be the finest. It would probably be $500 or more.

thanks for taking the time to help.  everyones assistance has been terrific.  Both of these coing are quite interesting to me.