• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just started collecting coins what do you recommend I get

2 posts in this topic

What to collect is very individualistic and anyone that tells you to collect a specific thing is possibly reflecting their own biases.  The best information you can get is to collect what you LIKE.  If you really don't know what you like then got to some shows and look at a lot of different coins, both US and foreign.  If you are drawn to US but still not sure maybe start a type set to give you exposure to the different series without just jumping into one.  When you find one that really catches your interest then that would be the one to collect.

If you are asking which one you should collect that will hold its value or go up so you can make a profit, then I would say coins are typically a poor investment and you should stick to mutual funds.

To me coins are a hobby and the funds spent on a hobby are entertainment money.  That's money you spend for you own entertainment and enjoyment.  You don;t do to a movie, or the theater, out to dinner, a ball game,, a round of golf, and wonder "Am I going to be able to get my money back out of this?"  Coins are different from many hobbies in that after spending your money you do have something tangible, and you will be able to get at least some of your money back, maybe all, and if you are very lucky maybe a nice profit.  But to me if you approach it from the attitude of trying to make sure you get your money back or make a profit, you've given up the hobby aspect and trying to work it as a business without all the business headaches or advantages.