• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on Heritage auction archive

42 posts in this topic

"T(h)e second example you are using is different because you "made" these grades for these coins (Lincoln Cent and Buffalo Nickel).  I presume you already owned these coins are possibly for a long time.  If you did, in theory, yo could release the supply slowly and it will work, but only if real demand exists.  Considering that the population reports are public, I don't even see how this would work because any prospective buyer would immediately notice the increased count and should reduce their offer"

again, you're incorrect concerning assumptions: we had the coins a few days, sent them off for certification, then filled Bids and sold the rest on eBay>
With Notification, we had a few days before the populations showed increases. Therefore, we had a few days to fill Bids.

15 minutes ago, allmine said:

Ummmm. "cornering the Market"? Obviously, you didn't read closely. Not cornering, but manipulating. Do you know about how CCE works?

Yes, I am familiar with manipulation.'

Still doesn't make these price increases "perpetual".  The bag holder will simply be someone else.

1 hour ago, allmine said:

"T(h)e second example you are using is different because you "made" these grades for these coins (Lincoln Cent and Buffalo Nickel).  I presume you already owned these coins are possibly for a long time.  If you did, in theory, yo could release the supply slowly and it will work, but only if real demand exists.  Considering that the population reports are public, I don't even see how this would work because any prospective buyer would immediately notice the increased count and should reduce their offer"

again, you're incorrect concerning assumptions: we had the coins a few days, sent them off for certification, then filled Bids and sold the rest on eBay>
With Notification, we had a few days before the populations showed increases. Therefore, we had a few days to fill Bids.

I'm still waiting for you to provide a few examples of common coins that "continually rise". 

1 hour ago, allmine said:simply: MS65 Morgans... they should be $20-$30

you can thank the Salomon Brothers for this

Considering that they traded at approximately $800 at their peak more than 25 years ago, it's obviously highly inaccurate to state that they "continually rise". 

5 hours ago, allmine said:

Ummmm. "cornering the Market"? Obviously, you didn't read closely. Not cornering, but manipulating. Do you know about how CCE works?

5 hours ago, allmine said:

ahhhhh, except for those that are subject to "Programs". Do you know how the Bid and Ask work?

You look asinine when you ask condescending questions like this to someone who is a former major national coin dealer, former NGC/CAC grader, and current senior numismatist/consignment director of Heritage Auctions.

That's all well and good; maybe you can ask him why H insisted my item was ctft no matter what I told them, and then some other auction house sold it for almost 70K...
I've gone toe-to-toe with some of the biggest names in the business. So what?

Plus, I'm trying to find when, 25 years ago, MS65 1881-S M$Ds were 800.00; can't do it; I see 400.00 in 1985-before TPG

2 minutes ago, allmine said:

That's all well and good; maybe you can ask him why H insisted my item was ctft no matter what I told them, and then some other auction house sold it for almost 70K...
I've gone toe-to-toe with some of the biggest names in the business. So what?

I have no idea who you are or what item you're speaking of.

But I do know that you claimed a number of common coins "continually rise" in price. That claim sounded absurd when you made it and not surprisingly, the example you later provided (MS65 Morgan Dollars) turned out to be dead-wrong. I also know that you have spoken in a condescending tone to more than one other poster in this thread.

22 minutes ago, allmine said:

maaaaaaybe the correct terminology should be: have kept their value in spite of Mega-populations. And no, I am correct about Morgans; common dates anyway

"Have kept their value in spite of Mega-populations" is a far cry from  "continually rise".  However, as mentioned previously, MS65 common date Morgans haven't (even) "kept their value", either.