• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Improved Performance

4 posts in this topic

• Administrator

The Chat Boards host recently made a change to our configuration that should significantly improve the performance of the NGC Chat Boards.

We've done some quick testing of the changes, and page load times have been noticeably better so far. We'll be doing a more comprehensive analysis of performance in the coming hours/days, but I wanted to make a quick announcement about it right away so that we can get input from you.

Please feel free to share your thoughts on the new performance in this thread. Are the boards faster for you than they were before? The same? Worse? Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

We'll continue to explore other opportunities to make these boards better for you, performance-related or otherwise.

Thanks,
Scott

• Administrator
On 6/12/2017 at 4:48 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

So far, the boards are significantly faster. I don't know what you did, but it is a step in the right direction. 

We did find a specific configuration issue that was causing a reproducable (every 5 min) problem, and fixed it.

With that issue behind is, in the monitoring that I'm doing, I'm still seeing some occasional slow downs where a page load is >8seconds something like 3 to 6 times per day - each episode seems to last about 1 to 5 min.

I'm trying to determine whether that's an issue specific to the monitor or a real world event. I'm monitoring every minute, so the average user probably would not see all of these events, but you might experience one or two 5min periods where things are slow.

AFTER the fix that was applied on Monday, have any of you personally experienced a pattern like this? Long page loads a few times per day for a handful of minutes?

(We know it was terrible before Monday, I'm primarily interested in whether there is still an issue now.)

It has only been a couple of days, and I'm usually active on here for 10-15 minutes a day (since the post count is so low now). 

However, it has been uniformly much faster than previously. I haven't had any slowdowns like I previously did (yet).