• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Cartwheel

10 posts in this topic

So, I learned something this past week.  I learned what the Cartwheel really is.

Now, I've heard it discussed here about determining the quality of coins, and oftentimes the cartwheel phenomenon would come up by experienced coin enthusiasts.

I've looked at my coins over the years, and through the plastic slabs, the patina from age, when I see any sort of cartwheel, it really has always seemed muted, dulled down.

The other day I was at the store, and I paid cash, and the change expected was 11¢.  The guy then grabbed a roll of dimes, cracked them on an edge, handed me one, gave me a penny, and we were done.  When I got home, I spilled the change out on the counter in the kitchen, actually the kitchen island in the middle of the room where I sit  a lot of the time.  In the kitchen, above, in the ceiling, are recessed lights.  They're all over, typically 4 of them, all on at the same time.

So, I'm sitting there, and I see the dime that the guy gave me at the store, and it is really shinny, figure it has to be 2017.  Looks like Roosevelt, must be, dead ringer — a Rosevelt dime — and so I pick it up, and with those overhead ceiling lights, all 4 sources beaming down, that Roosevelt dime just came to life.

I started turning it in the lights, and without shinning one of the recessed lights right into my eyes, I watched as the shimmer would move like a cartwheel, literally, almost like a spin at times.  I'm sure all of the 4 lights, together, were mostly to blame for giving this heightened cartwheel effect, but it was, and still is, dramatic.

What exactly does the cartwheel imply?  In what way is it a tool?  How many unknowns does it answer?

Best,

Bob

Most of the coins in your CoinTalk article look worn in their current state. (quick peruse of article photos)

Will casually read your article when I get the chance; it looks compelling. And I need to spend some time, several reads, to digest it.

I'll get back to you in this thread once I've done that.

Best,

Bob

If coins in your collection have cartwheel luster and you have not noticed it previously, you may be examining your coins under the wrong lighting. A strong, direct light source, similar to your overhead spotlights, is necessary to examine Coins for qualities and defects. 

On 5/31/2017 at 5:57 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Everything you want to know is described in an article I wrote, which you can read here: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/luster-a-guide-for-beginners.58435/

If you want even more detailed explanation, there is a whole chapter in my book about luster. 

Read it once, need to do a few more reads.  Had no idea it was so involved.

And then there is controversy in the "read," as though there is confusion as to what is what by the common numismatist.

Nonetheless, liking what I'm seeing in the "read."

Thank you,

Bob

Roger, was not asking about the origin of the term cartwheel luster.

If you can provide in-depth background on its origin, that would be very much appreciated.

Respectfully yours,

Bob