• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Other than rim nick.......?

35 posts in this topic

I don't like it... if a pit in the die made the lump at U then it's def NG

because cast counterfeits were a bane of The Mint, you won't regularly see (save for a variety of 1842)  cuds or "die lumps" in the series

For crying out loud, if a TOP TIER grading company says it's genuine, well that's good enough for me and it should be good enough for anyone to buy this coin as certified genuine. 

36 minutes ago, WoodenJefferson said:

For crying out loud, if a TOP TIER grading company says it's genuine, well that's good enough for me and it should be good enough for anyone to buy this coin as certified genuine. 

The "Top Tier" Grading Company recently encapsulated some old Type coins that, aren't; and I remember passing around (at an EAC meeting at a Big Coin Show) some Dental Cast Large Cents that were, Certified, as genuine

I had the President of a TTGC admit, to me, that he was Wrong in his estimation of a set of obsoletes  he personally Certified as Reprints, but he couldn't change the label information (that was puzzling)

There are plenty of such stories; the TPG Services are NOT infallible* in their estimations of Good and Bad (ask Stack's about the Higley EVERYONE said was Counterfeit-an Impossibility but no one would listen, which realized almost 70K raw)

*except for ANACS... since their inception of PhotoCerts, I haven't run across a coin with ANACS Certification whose parentage I'd question. Incorrect attributions, yes, but not incorrect coins

The coin looked genuine to me from the beginning....I mean there is lot of trueness in the intact details than their might be skepticism due to mushy parts as far as I am concerned....then again I am a noob.

I faced a similar situation last year (my first post in the grade guessing forum)....I bought a raw CC seated quarter from ebay....thank goodness it came back with a straight grade from NGC.