• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1837 Capped Bust Half

5 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, PocketArt said:

Thanks Jason, yeah the weak strike threw me off a bit- was a little hard to determine what was the result of a weak strike, and what was wear.  

It helps if you're a bit familiar with the series, of course. The big indicators of strike on this one are the lettering - see how UNITED almost blends into the field? That lettering isn't really a high point, I would expect the rest of the devices to have much more wear if that was due to wear. 

Interesting, I imagine the stars to left of bust too are weak, and not just wear.  Yes, not too familiar with series, and will do a little homework next time.  I wanted to get this reeded edge type since produced for only 2 years with .50 cents on the reverse.  I'll probably pick up one with half dol. on the reverse too someday.  Looks like those were only minted for a few years too before the Liberty Seated Halves.  It's kind of odd looking at these when comparing to the Capped Bust lettered edge- they are neat.