• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have Any Idea What this nickel would be worth ???

12 posts in this topic

I know I have shown this coin along time ago.... But what would something like this be wroth in today's market??... I would think this would qualify as a major error coin and would garner a nice preium for it??.. It is also full steps... Take a look and tell me what you think... Also what error(s) it would be listed under...

805191-nick1.jpg

805190-nick.jpg

805194-steps.jpg

Brockage? Where do you see the mirror image on the other side of the coin? I am not seeing it... maybe I am blind?

I don't know a heck of a lot about errors but it looks like a ragged clip. It also looks to have tape residue on it, does it? As for the FS, many off-center and such errors are struck well in areas that are not typical for the series.

Looks like either a Ragged Edge clip or struck on an Elliptical planchet. It appears to have counting wheel damage on the obverse as well as some sort of residue.

This is a great error. A malformed planchet struck without collar. The only problem in pricing is that there is no date. My guess is also $100. With date, maybe $500?

TRUTH

In response to

Poster: truthteller

Subject: Re: Have Any Idea What this nickel would be worth ???

This is a great error. A malformed planchet struck without collar. The only problem in pricing is that there is no date. My guess is also $100. With date, maybe $500?

TRUTH

as per the above i agree

but maybe????? a broadstruck ragged edge clip with some tape residue and counting wheel damage

i think due to the pressure of the strike and the undersized ragged planchet clip hitting the die right caused a great full step strike which would make all the difference on a full correct planchet coin but not on the error coin but it cant hurt and makes an interesting story selling point

THE KEY WITH THIS COIN

retail $200-300???? if in a PCGS holder saying as per the above or whatever it is AS I AM JUST GUESSING AS ERRORS ARE NOT EVEN CLOSE TO MY SPECIALITY NOR DO I KNOW MUCH IF ANYTHING ABOUT THEM

but i do think that the ragged clip scrap that got into the strikeing chamber lends itself to a full step coin with less planchet area hence more metal flow area to be strong and the ragged planchet also lends itself to a broadstrike?

but the key to this coin is saying as such in a graded full step no date error pcgs choice to gem grade holder then you got anywhere from $200 to 300 maybe more?? retail on a major error dealers site

good luck with it and keep me informed 893applaud-thumb.gif

I am not sure what the residue on it is When I got the coin this is how it was.. Now do you think it would slab? or would it need to be conserved? I would like to get it slabbed just to see what the graders have to say about it

It would not slab due to the counting wheel damage. What you could do is send it to NCS to have the residue removed and they will slab it in their NCS slab.

Do you have to be a member to submit to NCS? I am thinking that you would....

Yep. If you like you can send it to me and I'll submit it with my next batch. It'll be at my cost + S&H.