• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wrongy graded coin by another sevice

6 posts in this topic

I found a old roll of 1943 Steel pennies which had all three mints ,but in addition were to with vertical DOUBLE S's , I have seen Horizontal S's but never vertical.  I choose to send one to PSCGS and Pscgs graded it as a $1.00  XF-40 SINGLE s  You can plainly see it has TWO vertical S's see attached file. My question  IS  should  I break it open and send NGC. look to the left of the  MAIN S. It is lite but there! In fact there I see what could be addtion S's. All opinions welcome! 82947061_Large.thumb.jpg.7826317369489339a92f622b38d04a95.jpg 

82947061_Large.jpg

I would leave it alone.  Moreover, I see nothing special about the coin to make it worth slabbing.  It looks like a circulated 1943-S steel cent and probably worth less than a dime (no offense).  With all due respect, it looks like normal pocket change and XF40 was also a bit generous in my opinion.  I wish you the best.

I see nothing out of the ordinary going on with the mint mark. Perhaps there is something there that your images do not show. Google 'Wexler's Coin and Die Varieties' for more information about Repunched Mint Marks (RPM)

I believe what he is seeing looks like a completely separate S mintmark southwest of the main mintmark.  Unfortunately he posted two pictures of the same coin and not both of them so I can't see if they both have the same feature.  From just the one picture I can't tell if it is real or my eyes plying tricks on me.

On the other hand that has NOTHING to do with the grading of the coin which I think they were a little generous with.  Cooper in order to get a mint error s/s on the label it would have to be a known variety, and you would have to pay the fees for the mint error and variety attribution.  Did you or did you just send it in for grading?  If you didn't pay the extra fees you got just what you asked for.  I think you would find the same thing with NGC.

It looks like a typical 1943-S steel cent with variegated levels of dirt and corrosion that might make one think there is something else there.  However, I don't think there is anything there.  It might help us if you would place a circle around the non-obvious S mintmark so that others can see what you are referring to in the post.