• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Understanding Details Grade

3 posts in this topic

https://www.ngccoin.com/pdf/details_grading_brochure.pdf

This is a pdf format so let it load, from our host.

I posted this over in Numismatics General, not much traffic over there these days so I decided to plant this here.

Ha!  I posted this brochure too on my question with NGC net grading - light cleaning in numismatics general.  I was curious if there was a standard deduction with coins that were lightly cleaned but yet not enough to be "details."  It is a good informative brochure- I think it would be interesting to see what would make the grade with light cleaning.  In other words- what is acceptable for a grade.       

Pre 1900 coin cleaning is a bit more forgiving when it comes to a Details Grade (I think) as lots and lots of coins were lightly cleaned up by collectors of that era. Harsh cleaning still gets the dreaded purple label though, so it's a matter of how it was cleaned and survived.