• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New coins, new camera...

17 posts in this topic

Same problems with getting the color right! Christo_pull_hair.gif

Here's a couple of the coins that I found at the PNNA show yesterday. The obverse on this one is much lighter and more of a reddish purple with decent underlying luster. The reverse is somewhat close, but a little more vibrant than the picture.

801161-1909hbol20c.jpg

801161-1909hbol20c.jpg.8b80ad0cbcb64637d26b8cd854064f4a.jpg

This was a nice find, since I still needed it for my type set and not just an upgrade. The color is a little dark, but close. smile.gif

801164-1953els25c.jpg

801164-1953els25c.jpg.39eb252f7368e7fa7ca843e92ad5d316.jpg

Thanks Hoot! Here's another colorful one I picked up today. Even though the toning is a bit thicker than I like, the color is pretty close. headbang.gif

801544-1960lib10c.jpg

801544-1960lib10c.jpg.d185900ca50ea0a598bdea5ac96dc803.jpg

Here's another colorful one I picked up today.

Off the sidewalk? Man you have all the luck! Nice finds!

Yeah, I was strollin' through downtown Monrovia this morning and... there it was!! Didn't even need a metal detector.

Those are some sharp looking coins, I like the El Salvador the best. Going to plasticize any of them?

Those are some sharp looking coins, I like the El Salvador the best. Going to plasticize any of them?

If I was going to sell, I'd add the El Salvador coin to my short list of coins that have a shot at a money grade. But, for now, It's just for me to enjoy. It was my first coin show in months, so like a kid in a candy store, I was buying everything affordable that caught my eye. I even bought my first German coin outside of poundage. 893whatthe.gif

801851-1913ger3m.jpg

801851-1913ger3m.jpg.5c96c4ce971b45015821aed8ce87e9eb.jpg

801851-1913ger3m.jpg

Battle of Liepzig Commem, I've got one of those too! A always liked the inscription below the king:

MIT GOTT FUR KOENIG UND VATERLAND

Sounds like they really mean it.

That's in reference to defeating Napoleon, right? I guess that's a little more subtle than "We kicked your asses and we'll do it again!"

Thank you GDJMSP. Have you picked up any new gold beauties lately?

Btw... Are there any of those initials that you prefer? Typing them all out seems so formal. But then again, just callin' ya G' seems a little too familiar. wink.gif

That's in reference to defeating Napoleon, right? I guess that's a little more subtle than "We kicked your asses and we'll do it again!"

This coin commemorates the Battle of Liepzig, also known as the Battle of Nations. Before that battle Prussia was occupied by France and nominaly allied with her. On the eve of the battle Prussia switched sides and joind Russia and Austria inflicting a major defeat of Napoleon. It was all down hill for France from there and marks the beginning of a reanissance of Prussian power.

The legend translates to "With God for King and Country" - left unsaid was the "we opened up a can of whoop-[#@$%!!!] on the French" part. It sounds very martial in German.

Memo to self: Pick up a nice Napoleon coin.

Thank you GDJMSP. Have you picked up any new gold beauties lately?

Quite a few actually, several nice silver coins as well. But I have been overcome with a lack of ambition which is required, by me anyway, for taking pics. Of course a large part of that is because recently I just haven't been able to get them right Christo_pull_hair.gif

Btw... Are there any of those initials that you prefer? Typing them all out seems so formal. But then again, just callin' ya G' seems a little too familiar. wink.gif

GD works just fine wink.gif

I do have one pic to share. This was a first for me - a medal. Normally medals hold little interest for me. But this one - I just had to have wink.gif

Scheld.jpg

I just haven't been able to get them right

I never let that stop me... stooges.gif

Fantastic medal. Thanks!