• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red book vs Blue book

32 posts in this topic

Looks like an old thread got resurrected.  I feel like many posts underrate the value of the Redbook to some extent with regard to pricing.  I actually DO use it to price most coins, but then again, most of what I deal with is common issues.  For example, I take prices straight out of the Redbook for things like middle-grade common Indian cents and buffalo nickels, and even the common Seated coins.  But I would never use it to price a Choice BU draped bust half-dollar!   I also purchase coins by simply discounting against the same Redbook prices I'd charge for those coins.

The Bluebook has zero value to me in any arena.

On 1/19/2023 at 9:03 AM, EarlyUS.com said:

Looks like an old thread got resurrected.  I feel like many posts underrate the value of the Redbook to some extent with regard to pricing.  I actually DO use it to price most coins, but then again, most of what I deal with is common issues.  For example, I take prices straight out of the Redbook for things like middle-grade common Indian cents and buffalo nickels, and even the common Seated coins.  But I would never use it to price a Choice BU draped bust half-dollar!   I also purchase coins by simply discounting against the same Redbook prices I'd charge for those coins.

The Bluebook has zero value to me in any arena.

It's better than NOTHING but given that decades ago it and magazines were the only printed coin prices (besides CDN), today you have the ability to see sales in real-time on the Internet.

Before gold and silver floated in price (~1973), a Red Book was probably pretty accurate for prices for YEARS....unless something happened like with the 1904-O Morgan Silver Dollars in the early-1960's.