• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1830 Capped Bust Half Variety - Not sure!!!

12 posts in this topic

Hi...I tried doing a little research on a 1830 Bust half that I have and really was unable to figure out much regarding the variety etc. of it. Couple of questions: 1) Is there a good online resource for these? 2) Can anyone who knows the series help me figure out if it is one of the more desirable varieties? I am pretty much sure it is a small 0 but not sure about the large letters.

Here are my somewhat less then perfect photos:

dsc_1703.jpg

dsc_1704.jpg

dsc_1705.jpg

Thanks!

Good information; NGC has some good pictures of many of the varieties but it helps to consult an expert with the diagnostic book. Under XF these don't have much added value with most of the varieties unless you are dealing with earlier/rare dates.

While it is true the earlier dates are valued higher, generally, there are quite a few later date die marriages and varieties worth thousands of dollars in VF and below.

Here is a good resource for learning the rarity of all CBH die varieties. R5 or higher coins are scarce and pricey.

Capped Bust Rarity Ratings

Lance.

While it is true the earlier dates are valued higher, generally, there are quite a few later date die marriages and varieties worth thousands of dollars in VF and below.

Here is a good resource for learning the rarity of all CBH die varieties. R5 or higher coins are scarce and pricey.

Lance.

Thanks, Lance. Anything on the 1836-9 Capped varieties?

Well, of course the reeded edge 1836 is very valuable.

And the 1839 small letters is outrageously expensive, if you can find one.

The 1839-O is always popular and pricey (regardless of die marriage).

Enthusiasm for 1837 - 39 reeded edge scarce die marriages is nothing like the capped bust series. I enjoy the coins but many bust half nuts feel the fun diminished greatly once steam presses all but eliminated so much of the hand punching that made each lettered edge die pair different and special.

Lance.

Lance.

Thanks, Lance. Anything on the 1836-9 Capped varieties?

I don't know of any place online that lists all the Reeded edge varieties. Lance is correct, however, that these varieties are much less enthusiastically collected.

If you really want to know about them, however, the reference is by Graham. It had a limited print run and sold out pretty quickly, but you can sometimes find a copy at a numismatic bookseller.

Ha ha. You said D_ick and it was censored.

C_rap, can this get any more stupid?

Lance.

Yup. Try typing or .

Those always Bill Jones off the most when he's discussing his campaign tokens.