• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just got Grades with mixed emotions

10 posts in this topic

I decided I would use my freebies on some "test coins" (coins that push the envelope) so I can find out where "the line" is. We're talking about Washington Quarters 1932-1964. The first coin is dead on the money because of a slight scuff mark/ luster break in the right field of the Obverse.

Coin #2 was pretty radical as were 3,4 and 5. Over the course of am entire year I left these coins sitting out on the Black Jeweler's Tray, doing absolutely nothing to them at all except flipping them over every 2 weeks. Hey, this is how we learn, right? Overall I'm fairly pleased...no real big surprises except for coin 2.

These last 4 coins toned rather radically and I thought 2 qnd 3 were shot 67s and that 4 and 5 were Gem BU. Here are the results of that test and that sumission. Thought I'd share this with all of you. All are gorgeous and the 32-S would be a 5 if not for that scuff mark. Some dummy at one point in time had a little accident that today makes a big difference in Premium.

Coins for invoice number 2070721

Line

Item Year Mint

Mark Variety/Pedigree Denom. Proof Grade Strike

Char Comments

001 1932 S 25C AU 58

002 1961 25C MS ENV DAMAGE Huh?

003 1960 D 25C MS 66

004 1963 D 25C MS 65

005 1963 D 25C MS 64 makepoint.gif

Hey....Guys? Like I said, maybe you didn't catch that part BUT I just got the GRADES. NOT the coins!!Hellooooooo confused-smiley-013.gif

How can I show you pictures of coins that have yet to be delivered? 27_laughing.gif

Another thing. pitting and corrosion are 2 biggies that cause BB

Do you really think I would have wasted a perfectly good Early Bird Submission on a pitted or corroded coin? Come now. I can't wait to receive them. I want to see this coin again through the graders' eyes.

I took a high grade coin straight out of a Mint set, left it on the Black ANA Jeweler's Tray for over a year and did nothing at all to them except flip them over, very carefully, so that they would come out nice and even on both sides. That's it! I'll know soon enough. wink.gif

sounds like they should be good... can't want to see what they look like... I just threw out the part about being corroded or pitted because those 2 are very common but seeing as they are most likely modern mint coins.... that would all depend on what was in the air.... sometimes things in the air can have a negitive effect on the coin... it will be interesting to see... I will waiting for some pics...

Hey....Guys? Like I said, maybe you didn't catch that part BUT I just got the GRADES. NOT the coins!!Hellooooooo confused-smiley-013.gif

How can I show you pictures of coins that have yet to be delivered? 27_laughing.gif

I had thought that, like many of us here, you had taken images of the coins before you sent them in.