• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on South African proofs...

10 posts in this topic

Is it normal for them to have some cartwheel luster and not very reflective fields? This one looks more like a prooflike strike to me, but it's the first one I've ever handled. confused-smiley-013.gif

799149-1948sa2sa.jpg

799149-1948sa2sa.jpg.b6742106c7d45f8f0848359f9cfdbd31.jpg

From this point of view, the coin does not even look PL. 893whatthe.gif I'm sure in-hand it looks a fair bit different. The coin certainly does not have the look of a proof.

Hoot

From this point of view, the coin does not even look PL.

That has more to do with my pictures... sorry.gif

The coin has a nice strike with squared off rims and such. I can make out reflected text about 3-4" deep in the fields. Besides that, the business strikes are worth more than the proofs, so not much chance that I got a really nice business strike. wink.gif

From this point of view, the coin does not even look PL.

That has more to do with my pictures... sorry.gif

Perhaps pushing the marcro button would help? boo.gif

I've also had South African proofs where the mirrors weren't complete and there was some cartwheel also. They were no-brainer proofs - I think that's just the way the come.

I've also had South African proofs where the mirrors weren't complete and there was some cartwheel also. They were no-brainer proofs - I think that's just the way the come.

Thanks Jammin!

I collect the entire South Africa series and I only buy uncirculated busines strikes or high grade proofs. To answer your question, you should hope that your coin is NOT a proof because the 1948 business strike is a rare coin and much rarer than the proof. I have both of them, NGC MS-63 and NGC PR-67 but would be happy to have the coin you illustrate as a duplicate (if it was certified) if it is a business strike.