• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Congratulations on becoming a powerseller !" - BOGUS?

11 posts in this topic

Is this message fake (click it to enlarge it to full size)?

junk_.jpg

Note the spelling of "register by accesing your account", a clickable link.

The URL (DO NOT CLICK) behind the link is:

DO NOT CLICK http://221.239.23.210/.websrc/.powers/ws/index.html DO NOT CLICK

James

Yes itis fake. The biggest deal about phishing ebay emails is that you must click through the email. All messages from ebay also appear in your messages folder. Here is the link to Powerseller qualifications. Do you meet these criteria? http://pages.ebay.com/services/buyandsell/welcome.html

Also notice that the url does not have ebay in it.It is an IP address to a remote computer. Also ebay does not put these 24 hr time restraints on legitimate offers.

When all else fails contact ebay and verify the email.

I have gotten phishing emails saying I needed to verify my bank account and it would be for a bank I never heard of. I click the reply button and send them a nasty email back and I usually get one of those mailer-daemon error emails. Some of the mailer-daemon emails are sent back from a totally different domain. Hence theyare hand typed replys and usually take about 3 days to return back.

Hope this helps.

The reason I though this phishing email to be particularly dangerous is that I do qualify for "power seller" status, and have turned down the opportunity a couple of times in the recent past. To be honest, my initial reaction was to click on the link, but thankfully, something in the back of my mind said "caution"!

Usually, I am very careful about this sort of thing.

James

I do qualify for "power seller" status, and have turned down the opportunity a couple of times in the recent past.

May I ask why this is?

These days, at least in the eBay coin community, "Power Seller" has taken on negative connotations 893whatthe.gif !

James

Does that mean that you pass on any sellers who are "power sellers"?

I seldom bid on eBay auctions - but when I do, I pay no regard whatsoever to the "powerseller" title.

Exactly so why are you turning down this title Christo_pull_hair.gif

You give good descriptions good photos with a good return policy you are obviously not a scammer.Anyone who is stupid enough not to tell this. do you really want that perosn bidding on your coins 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

These days, at least in the eBay coin community, "Power Seller" has taken on negative connotations 893whatthe.gif !

James

I had wondered why eBay never gave you that icon,so since you won't be needing it might I borrow it? 27_laughing.gif

I would have to disagree with your statement,I know alot of excellent powersellers.I'll use darin-5 as an example,he is straight forward honest (power)seller who I would not hesitate to purchase from.He's in the same book as you even though he charged me $5 for shipping sign-rantpost.gifgrin.gif

There's plenty of others:the late sampleslab,etc.

I think you're selling yourself short.

-Hayden

Well, another reason, maybe more valid, is that "power-sellers" have to maintain a certain level of listings and revenue, and I'm not ready to commit to that sort of arrangement. Of course, I've averaged such levels over the past couple of years, or else I wouldn't have gotten the offer for "power-seller" status, but I don't know what the penalties would be for failing to maintain the levels.

I think I'll start up a thread asking what others think about power-sellers!

James

There are no penalties envolved.....if you don't meet the requirements you are supposed to just be removed from Powerseller status which means you don't have the icon anymore.

In my case I was awarded the power seller status at the end of 2003...I sold off some of my baseball cards and my sales reached a level over 3 months that qualified me for powerseller status.................until December of 2004 I did not really sell another item and they never removed me from being a power seller so it's almost like once your in....it takes a lot to be kicked out. Remember you have to maintain a minimum of $1,000 in sales for 3 months to remain a power seller and here I went almost an entire year without meeting that requirement and I am still a PS so go figure thumbsup2.gif

I agree with others that I don't believe being a powerseller is a negative in anyway. If you are honest and have a return policy...it costs you nothing to become a PS and as far as I am concerned it can only help your sales with the newer Ebayers!!!