• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1880-S Morgan Silver Dollar

9 posts in this topic

Hello, long time lurker to this site as I'm a comic book guy but always been interested in coins. Any help in grading would be appreciated as I'm a complete novice to this type of collecting. Thanks in advance!

Morgan%201880%20S%20Front_zpsclokyfey.jpg

Morgan%201880%20S%20Back_zpslk9f3bhk.jpg

My guesses:

1880-S: VF-XF

1921-S: MS-62-63

1922-D: VF-XF

Thank you! (thumbs u

So would you recommend getting the 1921-S professionally graded, or would it not be worth the cost?

My guesses:

1880-S: VF-XF

1921-S: MS-62-63

1922-D: VF-XF

Thank you! (thumbs u

So would you recommend getting the 1921-S professionally graded, or would it not be worth the cost?

I realize the question wasn't directed toward me, but I'll answer ;)

Even as an MS63, the coin would only be worth approximately $70, if certified. And, while, based on the images, I could see it as a possible 64, that would make it worth in the neighborhood of $100.

All things considered, based on the grading fee and postage both ways, I believe that the odds are against it being economical to have the coin graded. That said, if you are able to show it to a knowledgeable coin person in-hand and he thinks it has a shot at an MS65, then it would merit grading.

Thanks Mark, appreciate your knowledge. probably best to keep em raw!

Is there a company/website/boardie you would recommend who sells a good quality coin holder at a fair price?

Thanks Mark, appreciate your knowledge. probably best to keep em raw!

Is there a company/website/boardie you would recommend who sells a good quality coin holder at a fair price?

Happy to try to help. Here is a good coin supplies company, but there are many low cost options for coin storage. Coin World also sells do-it-yourself slabs.

Hello, I'm a comic book guy but always been interested in coins. Any help in grading would be appreciated as I'm a complete novice to this type of collecting.

As you know this coin is quite small so it did not scan very well. Thanks in advance!

1829%20Half%20Cent%20Classic%20Head%20front_zps4dvkbwhe.jpg

1829%20Half%20Cent%20Classic%20Head%20back_zpsxktzv5gi.jpg

It'll be best if you start a new thread for that one, Phil.

And, we'll need bigger pictures to give you an idea. I'll tell you first that it's a 5 cent coin (half dime) and not a half cent.