• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

camera

6 posts in this topic

I was happy with my canon Powershoot sx 210 but its pretty much "done". Suggestions for a point and shoot with a decent macro at a good price?

Point and shoot is a vanishing niche of digital photography with smartphones and DSLRs crowding them out. Manufacturers are holding back on features for these accordingly, especially the less expensive models. If you want a point and shoot with decent macro, your best bet is to go to a store with several (working) models available to test, pull a quarter out of your pocket, and test the camera. You will want to see not only if you can get a good picture really close, but also if you can get one at a foot or two away, so that you can properly light a coin. Some online specs give you hints about this by showing minimum focusing distance at maximum wide-angle and maximum telephoto, but there's no way of knowing how these cameras work over the full optical zoom range without testing them.

Nikon have a series of ultra long range zoom P&S cameras, the Coolpix S9xxx series. I bought the then current Costco model with a 27x zoom six or seven years ago. They have a pretty decent macro mode too. They do tend to overexpose, I have mine set permanently at -1/3ev compensation.

Here's one - have no idea what the price point is - http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/compact-digital-cameras/coolpix-s9900.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-TechSpecs

But agree with the recommendation to try it out in hand.

Check at a local "thrift store" or second-hand shop. You seem to be looking for something obsolete but usable.

Get recommendations, read consumer reports. then look around for a good used unit, ebay or Amazon. There are plenty of people who bought a quality camera, the return elapsed and they want to cash out.

My Fujifilm unit stopped charging. and I don't want to spend the $35 for an outside the unit battery charger at this point.