• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which coins to submit first?

16 posts in this topic

First off, Hello to everyone . I have been reading your comments for some time and finally joined a few months back, due mostly to those very comments you have made. This is a much 'nicer' site to pose questions where the members spend more time answering than bashing on each other's questions , as is the case on another site. I have several coins that I have collected , most of which are circulated . I do ,however ,have a lot that are in the mint packaging such as silver proofs and mint sets . As I send off my first "5" free submissions along with a few that I will pay for , I'm worried about having some sent back ungraded (I read the download of the brochure with all the reasons coins are turned down) What would you guys and gals , the average collector Joes and Janes , suggest? Should I go to a local dealer and get help picking out which ones to send in or just stick to the ones in the original mint packages only? I have dipped into just about every arena from colonial notes to present day US and foreign coins and currency and have bought 'slabbed' coins before , but never submitted any for grading ...this submitting is new to me . Thanks for any advice.

PS , My goal is to eventually have some of my older coins encapsulated and given a fair grading . I'm not one of the new coinVestors , more like a value-minded hoarder-I guess?

Howdy Coin - welcome. hi.gif With that epithet, you should watch out for Coin collectors - there are dozens of them that may want you slabbed. wink.gif

As for your question, you simply need to choose among the best coins you have, and try to pick those with the greatest monetary value for the 5 free earlybird submissions - others you can always submit by economy service. Choose coins that have not been harshly cleaned or otherwise impaired, and those with the greatest eye appeal.

As long as the coins have not been improperly handled, they should get graded and slabbed. You'll need to submit the coins in 2.5x2.5 flips and it's always best to use mylar flips (e.g., saflips). You should be able to get some at your local dealer or through a hobby house, such as www.amosadvantage.com.

You can use the online submission form through the Collector's Society to generate your submission, add to it if you want to, or if you wish to add another service. Once NGC receives the order, you can then check your status online.

Good luck! Hoot

Hi, Coin! Take Hoot's advice and try to pick those higher in value. sign-offtopic.gif And, if Hoot ever says that he is giving you his buffs and jeffs screwy.gif................. take them and promptly say "Thank you!" devil.gif27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gif

Chris

more like a value-minded hoarder-I guess?

I'm going to have to remember that discription, I think the "value-minded" is about all seperates me from a squirrel. 893whatthe.gif

Anyways, welcome to the boards Coin. yay.gif : hi.gifyay.gif

and what Hoot said... thumbsup2.gif

With that epithet, you should watch out for Coin collectors - there are dozens of them that may want you slabbed.

Man that was really cheesy Hoot, but I guess being from Wisconsin I should like. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Wow , got some fast replies ! Thanks for the information and link Hoot , and cpm9ball , 27_laughing.gif ....thanky Silver Dollar Man -glad to be here ! REXCAT...that pic by your name has got me LMAO...goes with that 'up nort' slogan perfectly...now how do I get that image outta head ?

I was worried that sending in coins would result in them being sent back unless they were in perfect mint shape , but I will pick out 5 of what I think are problem free and see what happens . I do have one coin in particular that I really like , a Stone Mountain commemorative , it is not expensive , but is very sharp with all details , but it looks like someone had wiped it clean (no swirls or lines or polished down) and it is a bit more shiny than an old coin should be...would that be considered a 'improperly cleaned ' coin? I could take a pic of it but will have to read how to show it on here if that will help.

Welcome to the Board. You may want to take Hoot's advice and find a local dealer who you can maybe buy a couple coins from and have him look at the coins that you plan to submit. We all learned this hobby the hard (and expensive) way. If you can find someone to help you, it may save you some grief.

Welcome. hi.gif If you are hosting your image at a web hosting site then you should be able to click image and paste the url

If you are uploading the image from your computer you can add an attachment, go back to your post and click on the attachment, copy the url and edit your post by clicking the image tab under UBB code and pasting the url in it. I think most forum members upload the images on the testing page. I hope this helps and maybe someone with more experience then I have will come along. Anyway welcome to the forum. yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

MelMcbee , I will give it a try later today...Thanks for the ideas...now I need to get a photo..I'm gonna try to do it under magnification and see what I can get.

Silver Dollar Man... I had that book and used it as a guide for my personnal grading ! I liked the pictures , and yes it did help .

I have been amassing a pile of coins and notes since the mid 1970's , but only just recently started going through them as a new hobby and started reading magazines on it from around last Fall. This is the first site on collecting that I actually joined and never had anything slabbed before( other than coins bought in a slab already) which is why I wanted info and opinions on how to begin this process...I have picked out 3 coins so far and with this boards help...hopefully I won't be making too many learning curve mistakes.

hi.gif and welcome to the forums.

You got some great advice here already.

This bunch is always willing to answer any questions if they are just asked.

Great group of folks here, so enjoy your stay.

-------------

etexmike

JMHO, but I would first take some of the courses that are available from the ANA ond really pour myself into them (Detecting Counterfeit and Altered US Coins, for one, then Grading Coins Today followed by Grading Uncirculated Coins) then I'd have a chart handy that describes what each Uncirculated State should look like, then go out and buy a copy of Photograde. I find the latter helps a lot because you can compare the coin at hand to the pictures.

If you know the do's and dont's regarding proper handling, GREAT! Rule # 1- Resist all urge to clesn a coin no matter how dirty it may seem to you. You could ruin coins in a heartbeat.Rule #2- Know what you can and cannot save your coins in. Plastic baggies are a definite No-No. Get a Jeweler's Tray to work on and keep it clean.

Then once I had an idea of my coins' "worth" I would submit those that are the more valuable. If there is any doubt, DON'T!! Bring any questionable coin to someone you know and trust to examine it for you. As for submitting....obviously you would only want to submit coins that are worth submiitting. NOT every coin merits being graded and encapsulated.

Good Luck to you. I hope this helps. thumbsup2.gif

etexmike , Thanks! I'm on my way going from holder to collector !

Boom , Very good advice ...I will find the courses from the ANA and check them out...I've wondered how to find out about counterfeits.

AlixTCat....what Oldtrader3 said is correct. They also sent 5 NGC MS graded and slabbed coins/state quarters with the package deal. I decided to break from the 'solo' hoarding and really start learning about what I have amassed , and after looking at several web sites and boards...I choose the NGC/Collectors Society as a place to go and get help and exchange info , so the 'extra's' were a nice plus.

The four (ICG, NGC, PCGS, ANACS) major third party graders have slightly different rules about what coin they will send back ungraded. I know ICG will return a "problem" (altered, counterfeit, whizzed, etc.) coin ungraded but only charge a small $5.00 processing fee. That's a good deal. Another service gives you NO break at all. I know ANACS sometimes will list on the label if the coin has been "cleaned" or at least I see their label signifying that condition most often. But the way you are describing what you are going to send does not seem like a problem and all your coins will be graded.