• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern coins comparison between slabs

5 posts in this topic

I keep reading that PCGS slabbed coins are worth more or sell for more than NGC. I do not think this is true of Modern coins. By modern I would say 1940 or sooner. I have over 5000 slabbed coins and a lot of registry sets (some duplicates). I find that there is almost always plenty of PCGS coins for sale at a lower price than NGC coins. Some times there are not any NGC coins for sale for a particular grade. When there are NGC coins they are never lower in price than the PCGS. Now this may be due to quantity available, I don't know. I am also talking about the highest grade for that year mint mark.

I have always tried to buy NGC since I started buying slabbed coins, However I buy the best coin between the 2 companies at the lowest price. If I could get NGC coins I would have.

You might see more PCGS coins for moderns for two reasons, One at first NGC would not slab anything after 1964. Also since PCGS slabs tend to bring higher prices, the large bulk submitters probably tend to make their submissions to PCGS thus the larger number of moderns seen in PCGS slabs.That large quantity of Non-poptop PCGS slabs makes their price lower to move them out of inventory.and acts as a drag on ther values.