• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

U.S. Gold Coins and First Appearance of Letters/Numbers Challenge

13 posts in this topic

Let’s get this right, and if we do, this should be a short, but very informative, thread.

However this is a very difficult thread to do well, and so "rush to post" is really not the way to proceed.

The challenge of this thread is that each post should reply with a single date (year), but always in succession and so never out of order, the gold coins involved in any nuance, and list the new letters/numbers that were introduced.

The years under consideration span 1795 — 1933, and the letters and numbers are obviously:

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

Only gold coins are of interest here, and if several denominations from the same year add the same, or additional, letters, then they should be listed too.

If someone incorrectly lists a year, coin denominations, letters, or numbers out of order and another person catches the mistake, then the latter person can point out the inaccuracy, poke the incorrect poster in the eye with a stick :baiting: , and then, ideally, correct the inaccuracy somehow. Copying and pasting the current, existing list, anew, but corrected and with all of the syntax included, would be great. (please preview)

If (and when) things bog down, I’ll come in and update where things stand. (I expect this thread to go off the rails almost immediately, or, most likely, gain zero traction, but let's see.)

Gold coins for this challenge:

Gold Dollars

Gold Quarter Eagles

Gold Three Dollars

Gold Four Dollar Stellas

Gold Half Eagles

Gold Eagles

Gold Double Eagles

Gold Commemoratives

(btw, [colour:#FFFFFF] [/colour] (but not spelled with a "u"), used in conjunction with periods "." in between can enable neat alignment and centering.

I’ll go first, just to kick things off, and show the way forward.

Year . . . . .Denomination(s) . . . .. . . . . New Letters/Numbers

1795. . . . . . . . $5, $10 . . . . . . .A B C D E F I L M N O R S T U Y 1 5 7 9

Year............denomination..........New Letter/Numbers

1796.................2 1/2..................1976, E, B, I, L, M, N, P, R, S, U

???

Turning out to be a very educational thread, IMHO.

1795. . . . . . . . $5, $10 . . . . . . .A B C D E F I L M N O R S T U Y 1 5 7 9

1796. . . . .$2.5; $2.5, $5, $10 . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . .P 6

1797.......,,$2.5; $5; $10: $2.5, $5, $10......................7

1797.......,,$2.5; $5; $10: $2.5, $5, $10......................7

Nope. :baiting:

The number 7 first appeared in 1795, represented by two gold U.S. coins simultaneously. Therefore, the list moves on, looking for an earliest year when a "new" letter or number (or both) makes its first appearance.

Still stands at:

1795 . . . . . . . . .$5, $10 .. . . . . A B C D E F I L M N O R S T U Y 1 5 7 9

1798. . . . . . .$2.5, $5, $10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . 8

Year           Denomination(s)                   New Letters/Numbers

1795                  $5, $10             A B C D E F I L M N O R S T U Y 1 5 7 9

1796         $2.5; $2.5, $5, $10                                  P 6

1798             $2.5, $5, $10                                         8

1800                  $5, $10                                             0

Much easier to get things aligned with the new software, and a chance to warm this board.