• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this plan sound?

6 posts in this topic

We've been acquiring a variety of Morgans and a few other newer US minted dollars. The plan is to have them all graded and accept come what may in order to have points of reference and learning curve for future acquistions. Further, I want to submit all to NCS first for two reasons which are:

1) If the coin won't be graded by NGC it will only take the NCS review fee to discover same and NCS will advise the reason.

2) If the coin's value can be enhanced by NCS conservation services before grading all the better.

Last part of the plan is long term (10 plus years) hold for all coins worthy of long term hold. Those not worthy will probably be kept anyway for that point of reference and learning curve thing.

Lastly, in this recent quest to get a feel for good value we acquired very much unintentionally a gold plated 2000 silver eagle. It took awhile to discover that HSN was responsible for the goofy thing. To me it is an oddity that should go in someones Christmas stocking next year because it's numismatic and even silver value is corrupted. What do you say?

Most thanks!

Coinkeen aka Sharon

It seems you have discovered some of the benefits to collectors of submitting your coins to NCS first. We will evaluate for conservation and conserve those coins which will benefit from work. Your coins will be in the best shape they could be when they are submitted to NGC for grading.

For those coins which do have surface problems preventing them from grading with NGC, such as improper cleaning or environmental damage, instead of receiving them in a body bag, you will receive them back in NCS Details Grade holders. With an NCS holder, you will have your coin certified as genuine along with a grade of the details--a word grade of the coin if it didn't have the surface problem--and a description of the problem. Having these coins labeled this way can be a great learning tool when it is time to add new coins to your collection in the future.

It does sound like you have a good plan for the future of your collection.

As far as your plated Eagle is concerned, plating is something which we could not help through conservation. Your piece still has value and could be a good piece to start another on a numismatic collection.

Chris, NCS

If you submit a coin to NGC, the only way you will know if it is a good candidate for conservation is when you receive the coin back. If the graders feel there is a strong likelihood your coin can be improved through conservation, then a note will be sent along with your coin. This note is not a guarantee that your coin will be conserved should you submit it to NCS nor is a lack of a note necessarily an indication that your coin is not a good candidate for conservation.

If you were to submit your coin to NCS, we could certainly contact you after the conis have been evaluated. Make a special note on your form if you would like this contact.

Chris, NCS

Hey Chris,

I have multiple coins to send to NCS and hopefully some on to NGC. I think I finally get cleaned and circulated. My question is: May I stipulate NCS authuenticate? Specifically, my submission to NCS will include a very very pretty Uncirculated 1883S Morgan with very light yet visible light line scratches on the field of the reverse?

And then my collection of 1878s includes all that could benefit from conservation which I would want to stipulate only slabed if MS 63 or more??

Most best,

Sharon

You can have your coins encapsulated in NCS Genuine holders after conservation. To indicate this to us, please mark the box describing such action on your submission form. On the most recent generation of forms this is the third box to check from the top. Checking this box will have all of your coins encapsulated as genuine, if you would still like those coins able to NGC grade that are free of problems, just add a note on the form next to that box.

Unfortunately we can not currently only grade coins if they meet or exceed a specific value. We can only have NGC grade or not grade a particular coin.

Chris, NCS