• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1857 Flying Eagle Cent with Error, 1896 Liberty Head V Nickel

4 posts in this topic

Good Evening,

I posted a some photos of this coin a few months ago but the photo was not good enough I have since purchased a new camera and I have taken a better photo. Which shows the true colour and better detail.

I hadn't noticed before but the coin had an error which I have been advised is Snow 3 1857 1c DDO FS-105. I have also seen another coin with similar marks which has been described as Improper alloy mix.

I was wondering if it would be worth sending this coin to be graded?

1857frontqul.JPG

1857backqul2.JPG

If possible could I have help with the Grade of this coin:

1896front.JPG

1896back.JPG

Thank You for any help.

The best result for the 1957 Fly Eagle that I can see is if it's graded as an error coin with wording something like "Mint State details, defective planchet." I don't see how that coin can get a straight grade.

The coin appears to have Mint State sharpness or very close to it. The mint caused planchet issues decrease its value and salability substantially. I don't know how a grading service can assign it a straight grade, and a net grade would controversial. If this coin were simply listed as "MS-60" I don't think that an MS-60 buyer would be happy with this piece when he received it if he wasn't aware of the planchet issue prior to purchase.

In the old days the 1896 nickel would get a VF-30. Today it would not surprise me if it gets an EF-40. Even so I think that getting it graded is a marginal move. The Gray Sheet numbers are $50 in VF and $95 in EF.

As a nice VF, it's worth more than $50, but on retail level it would probably be maxed out at $110 or so,.

Hello, Bill

Thank You for your help.

I was thinking of getting grading so I could preserve the coin in it current condition in a slab, I was going to keep the coin in my collection but I am not an error collector.

Thank You for the Grading for the Nickel I am happy with that, I payed $34 for it so a good investment this will stay in my collection.

Hello, Bill

Thank You for your help.

I was thinking of getting grading so I could preserve the coin in it current condition in a slab, I was going to keep the coin in my collection but I am not an error collector.

Thank You for the Grading for the Nickel I am happy with that, I payed $34 for it so a good investment this will stay in my collection.

There are a number of holder/storage options which are far more economical than paying to have the coins graded by a grading company. The value of the coins does not really merit the expense of grading.