• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any book recommendations on classic gold?

7 posts in this topic

I'm looking to just learn some in this area as I find gold really cool but just not very affordable smile.gif I have one book on proof gold which was fun to go through so I guess I'm looking for books talking about things like grading and history and such. Thanks.

Q. David Bower's Type Coin Red Book is awesome! I learned much about the classic $5 and $2.5 gold pieces. It has pricing for the various decades, populations, etc. This is a wonderful book for any collector, especially a type collector.

1836 $5 Classic Head gold piece

I like: Q. David Bowers, "United States Gold Coins, An Illustrated History" and Q.D.B.'s: "Harry W. Bass, Jr.-Museum Sylloge". These (2) books cover most of the Classic Gold issues, plus all other issues and have great pictures of museum quality coins. Bass had collected specimens of about every gold coin ever issued and the book contains pictures that are worth the purchase price by themselves.