• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Westford Ma. Coin show report

5 posts in this topic

Interesting show today. I arrived early (7:00am?) and noticed a certain "buzz" in the room right away, and it wasn't from the coffee. It was busy. Dealers were looking for coins, and didn't seem as concerned with price, as they were in finding good coins. No special segment seemed more sought after over another but it wasn't generic material that was being asked about.

By the time the general public filtered into the show, my cases were virtually empty! With the summer coming, I'm not too upset by all the activity.

It stayed busy right up until just after lunch, then everyone seemed to be clearing out rather quickly. The rain had stopped, the sun coming out, and the dealers went home.

I was able to buy a few neat things today, but didn't really get a chance to go "hunting" until later on.

Had a sort of funny situation when a regular attendee at the show offered me an 1881 shield nickel and asked "what will you give me for this". Well, first you have to make a decision as to whether these are business strike or proof. You can get hurt with the wrong decision. I felt it was a business strike, and purchased the coin. Another dealer asked if I had bought the coin, and said that he saw it and felt it was a proof. Well, at this point, I figured I would show it to someone else and they agreed with me (business strike). They in turn handed it to another dealer next to them, and this dealer thought it was a proof. It was getting funny, but I still thought it was a business strike. Took it to another dealer and asked if he wanted to buy it as a business strike. He looked at the coin and the coin sold.

Saw the usual board members and met "big greek".

Overall it was a good show with enough activity to cloud my thoughts of a slow down in the market..........

Yeah.... Darin looked happy...... Yeah......

I'm buying a monster toned WLH from Ernie soon......... yeah....... news.gif

Please remember Thomasz, that "MONSTER" goes through me first, so begging is EXPECTED at the next show (Auburn), which I'm expecting to have a table. smile.gifsmile.gifwink.gif

IF Thomasz lands this Walker, boy, is this board in for a treat. It's BEAUTIFUL. smile.gif

We can start with coffee at the show, cream and sugar.......lunch..............;)