• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1968s DDO/DDR ?

7 posts in this topic

Hello Polly, pictures are good but not sharp enough to tell if there's doubling on the motto on the obverse, or "Liberty." I'd try to look through a loop at the lettering, and date. Also, I'd check the reverse lettering, "United States of America," and "One Cent." See if there's doubling on any of that and if there is try to zero in on that if possible with your camera. Here's the variety's for the date for you to match up.

Thanks for sharing!

http://www.doubleddie.com/814681.html

Thank you PocketArt for the comments. I will try more pictures and follow your advice. One thing that caught my eye was the rail on the right is going the wrong direction. Also the image of Lincoln is not defined at all. I will do some close ups .

Poor definition is normal for 1968 cents. If you assemble a date set from 1909-1968 you can see the gradual degradation of the master die.

Nice pictures Polly. I can't match up any die gouges, or, die scratches that Wexler mentions for the 1968-s on your example, and nothing jumps out to me as unusual. Some of the doubling with the 1968-s is so finite that it's tricky to detect. When I come across coins in change that I think are interesting, I throw them in a dish I keep on a shelf. Every once in awhile I go through those coins to see what I kept, and lo and behold I find something I didn't see before. This may be one for you to keep and revisit later- you'll find something awesome in due time sure enough! Keep looking, learning, and posting!

Rich