• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Something's happening to me.

8 posts in this topic

Well, I stopped by my local coin dealer on Wednesday. He didn't have much in commems. I usually buy up most of his better commems, and, around here, they don't show up often. So I decided to ask to see "other coins". He pulls out binders of US coinage, cents through dollars. Uh oh. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I found some really, really cool coins that I otherwise would not have cared for. In fact, some of these coins I really don't give a second look at the shows. So I bought what caught my eye. Results,

1873 25C fractional gold

1875 25C fractional gold

1908S 1C very, very pretty fire red color raw Gem BU

1931s 5C outrageously toned baby blue, raw Gem BU+

1935s 25C 100% original and pretty raw Gem BU

1932S 25C nice raw choice BU

I was very pleased, but this might open a pandora's box. I don't have enough money to buy ALL the coins I want. Bankruptcy may loom ahead. crazy.gif

TRUTH

Seems reasonable to me that, outside of the frenetic pace of a show, it would be easier to buy some things that you might not look for. You have a nice relaxed atmosphere in a shop and time to really look at some coins.

Well, I stopped by my local coin dealer on Wednesday. He didn't have much in commems. I usually buy up most of his better commems, and, around here, they don't show up often. So I decided to ask to see "other coins". He pulls out binders of US coinage, cents through dollars. Uh oh. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I found some really, really cool coins that I otherwise would not have cared for.

In fact, some of these coins I really don't give a second look at the shows. So I bought what caught my eye. Results,

1873 25C fractional gold

1875 25C fractional gold

1908S 1C very, very pretty fire red color raw Gem BU

1931s 5C outrageously toned baby blue, raw Gem BU+

1935s 25C 100% original and pretty raw Gem BU

1932S 25C nice raw choice BU

Exactly what dealer has fractional gold, gem bu semi-keys, and gem harder to find stuff in binders? That sounds like a dealer just waiting to be cherrypicked to death. cloud9.gif

I was very pleased, but this might open a pandora's box.

Even think of doing a revolving door approach to coin collecting. Set a dollar amount of coins you feel OK with having in your collection and when you've reached that limit if you want anything else, you sell something from your current collection. It'll allow you to own lots of great coins over time without going in over your head.

I don't have enough money to buy ALL the coins I want. Bankruptcy may loom ahead. crazy.gif

Not thanks to the bankruptch reform bill signed. No more overspenders like yourself getting off the hook that easily. sumo.gif

"That sounds like a dealer just waiting to be cherrypicked to death"

Too late, I was there first. thumbsup2.gif

"Not thanks to the bankruptch reform bill signed."

I guess I have six months left. Besides, when the coin market tanks by July, there will be a whole bunch of coin folks ready to sign the banruptcy papers. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

You only got 6 coins...piker. hi.gif A dealer with a stock like that you should have walked out of there with 200 coins and a bill that resembles the price tag for a new car!

I guess I have six months left. Besides, when the coin market tanks by July, there will be a whole bunch of coin folks ready to sign the banruptcy papers. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

893crossfingers-thumb.gif Them and all the people buying over their heads for homes and taking out flexible interest lines of credit. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

You only got 6 coins...piker. hi.gif A dealer with a stock like that you should have walked out of there with 200 coins and a bill that resembles the price tag for a new car!

TRUTH

893crossfingers-thumb.gif Them and all the people buying over their heads for homes and taking out flexible interest lines of credit. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I started reading this post with some real interest and was kinda wowed over Truth's purchases, but in the end, it all just scared the hell outta me. 893whatthe.gif

Hoot