• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1834 Capped Bust Half question

9 posts in this topic

I got this capped bust half from local flea market 3-4 years ago, It was in PCGS slab as cleaning VF details. I am wondering if it is gradable now? I am asking this because it seem it is old cleaning, so it should be gradable or market acceptable (or I am missing something?) similar to other capped bust halves on ebay and heritage auction? If it is gradable, I may want to submit it to PCGS or NGC. Your opinion will be great helps.

IMG_20161124_194815_zps0neakhj7.jpg

IMG_20161124_194711_zpscerccdme.jpg

Chances are it won't grade. Cleaning is of marked by hairlining which never goes away unless you carry the coin as a pocket piece and wear it down by a grade. Even the coin retones the hairlines are still visible to the trained eye.

In addition the reverse appears to a coat of artificial toning on it. That can be removed, but it might be hiding hairlines on that side as well.

This coin looks like it is the product of many coin doctor "fixes."

All right, thank you Mark and Bill! Yes, there are a lot of hairlines on it when you look at it carefully in person. I am sure that the color on the reverse is artificial toning, it seem like that someone was cleaned it with a harsh chemical a long, long time ago.

that almost looks like its in a slab already. if so what did it say on the slab. (I hope im right on with it)

It is in a slab already. He told us was marked as "VF cleaned."

Sadly, when coins are cleaned they normally show either hairlines, harsh chemical stripping or a polished look. There was a time in American history where it was thought that cleaning your coins was a good thing and some coins even in great collections were cleaned. These bust coins are often associated with being cleaned as a result.

The good thing is that there are a great many collectors who still cherish these coins for what they are, cleaning does not necessarily destroy the value like many other coins (Morgan Dollars come to mind).

Just keep it as is and value it for it's history.