• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Very Cool '10-S Lincoln Cent

10 posts in this topic

I bought this coin at the Baltimore show and I don't even look at full red Lincoln cents for the most part. This coin caught my eye as it has terrific orange-peel surfaces, is nearly mark-free, absolutely glows with luster and the color is an amazing bright orange with silver highlights. The scans might not show it well but they are simply scans done very quickly. This is in an old style NGC holder with the heat stamped logo on the reverse and no hologram. It is also PQ all the way and I think it looks like an MS66RD coin. Please keep in mind that I do not buy MS65RD/MS66RD Lincoln cents so I might be wrong on my characterization on this coin as being likely undergraded. The obverse is in the attachment above.

123087-10SOBV.jpg.38aaae08535b0a32a865e5f7e03340e2.jpg

Hi Tom,

Nice coin! You did not say what the holder says the grade is now, but I do not think the coin will go MS-66 from the scan.

In my opinion it's probably a MS-65, although I could be wrong as it has been my experience that scans can tend to magnify even the most minute tick to the point where you would think you were looking at the grand canyon.

John

Tom, I really like red coppers that have mellowed down to orange like that. I have a 1910 that looks just like it. That is a nice looking coin.

Those old NGC holders are really a bargain a lot of the time. A lot of people don't realize that at the time, NGC was tighter than PCGS. What is amazing is those old holders a lot of the time don't carry the kind of premium people pay for old PCGS holders.

Thanks, everyone. I forgot to mention that it is an MS65RD. It was nestled next to a number of other MS65 and MS66 coins and looked as nice or nearly as nice as any of the MS66 coins. Obviously, it looks nicer in person.