• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Definition of "harshly or improperly cleaned"?

5 posts in this topic

I have a 1932-S Washington quarter (AU?) that I would like to submit for grading. When holding the coin at the right angle to the light, I can see very fine hairline scratches on the obverse. In reviewing the No Grade Booklet, I can see where this might meet the description of a WIPED coin. The booklet states that "NGC will not grade coins it considers to be harshly or improperly cleaned". My coin seems very naturally colored and I wouldn't call any of the marks detracting (or even visible unless you're trying). Can you give me some guidance as to where you draw the line between unharshly and harshly cleaned? I realize that there are no guarantees that you would grade the coin until you actually saw it, but I just don't want to waste the money in the event that there's really no chance. Thanks.

Send the coin to NCS first! It will just cost $5 for them to look at it!

Plus the charge of insured registered mail to get it back then the cost of shipping it to NCS.NCS is a conservation service and can help in the eye appeal department.However if it would get a BB from NGC for cleaning it would still probably be a BB from ngc.

If you are questioning if your coin will grade with NGC or if it will be returned to you in a body bag, it may be a good idea to send it in for NCS Details Grading. If your coin will grade with NGC, it will be transferred on your behalf and you will be charged the regular tier with NGC based on the value and type of coin. If it is in fact a "no grade" you will receive the coin back in an NCS Details Grade holder rather than a body bag at a reduced rate.

For more information on NCS services, visit our website www.NCScoin.com or contact NCS Customer Service at 866-627-2646 or NCShelp@NCScoin.com.

Chris, NCS