• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1889 morgan - S - tarnished...should I clean? What Grade?

10 posts in this topic

You need to open an account on a picture server site like "Photobucket." It can aggravating to use sometimes, but at least free. You just can't put up a JPG file and have the picture show up here.

Ok - here is the image in an easier to see format...

I have several coins from this era that are in similar condition - should I get them graded before I begin auctioning them off, or would the cost of grading be more than the benefit?

_MG_6903_zpsdu2zdkzp.jpg

Ok - here is the image in an easier to see format...

I have several coins from this era that are in similar condition - should I get them graded before I begin auctioning them off, or would the cost of grading be more than the benefit?

_MG_6903_zpsdu2zdkzp.jpg

Without knowing the dates and condition of the other coins, we couldn't possibly know whether it would be better to get them graded, before selling them.

In any event, there are 2 schools of thought. In one group of people the preference is for white coins, cleaning would provide that. In the other group even when unattractive, the coins have tarnish that's original. Some people respond to that.

I agree with Mark, this coin (an 1889 S) looks to be AU and as a result the cost of cleaning and shipping would gobble up most of the value of the coin. As is the coin might be worth $130 if it's an AU 58.

The hair above the ear is too weak for an S mint dollar. I'd take excellent close up photo's and list it on E-Bay as is if it were mine.