• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3rd edition of Guide Book of Flying Eagle and Indian Cents

15 posts in this topic

Just released.

According to the announcement from Rick Snow: "Updated for 2017! The popular book on Flying Eagle and Indian Cents from the "Bowers Series" of books. Published by Whitman Publishing. This edition is 294 paged and covers all aspects of these popular series. This is the first book published to highlight and discuss the new PDS Grading System."

This is the first book published to highlight and discuss the new PDS Grading System."

Besides the PDS system, are there any compelling reasons to buy this? Is there any significant update or new information?

And if you're going to buy a book on FE/ICs, why buy this book instead of his other, more complete book?

Fellow author smack-down...... :banana:

I think Jason's questions are valid ones. And, the niche area of FE/ICs has basically zero overlap with Jason's general book.

troll_trolling_zpsuuex7wmp.jpg

pardon my ignorance but what is the pds grading system or what does it consist of? just wondering

This article explains it better than I can: http://news.coinupdate.com/considering-a-planchet-die-and-strike-grading-system/.

I personally do not see how it is any less subjective or any more consistent than the current system. Moreover, there are huge deficiencies when applied to coin issues where strike is notoriously weak. This is a major problem for collectors of early federal/bust coinage for instance. I also think it makes matters more complicated than they already are.

pardon my ignorance but what is the pds grading system or what does it consist of? just wondering

Nothing that should stick or will apply across the range of different coin types, could apply to series with 100s to 1000s of MS examples like common indian cents or morgans, for example. Won't be relevant to other series for many reasons.

Best, HT

This is the first book published to highlight and discuss the new PDS Grading System."

Besides the PDS system, are there any compelling reasons to buy this? Is there any significant update or new information?

And if you're going to buy a book on FE/ICs, why buy this book instead of his other, more complete book?

I have the same questions. I already have everything Rick has published up to this point. I love his work but already understand PDS. If there is other new information, I'll buy the book.

All I can do is laugh at you and your lack of understanding the topic.

Were you able to buy the book yet and discover if there is anything new that enhances your understanding of the topic....the topic being the third edition?

It may be similar to buying a new dictionary every year, because new words are added. But, you never know until you buy the book and read it, instead of asking others if there is anything new. It is not that expensive. Opining in a suggestive manner that it is suspect that the book is of any use/importance/interest and questioning any value to be had from the purchase, is in fact the very definition of a smack-down, and is in my opinion discourteous, and especially so when another numismatic author deems it necessary to comment concerning the work of a fellow author, when the book has not even been read by the author presenting the question.

It is also somewhat similar to assuming another person lacks knowledge of a subject, yet there is no knowledge of what the level of knowledge of the person actually is or is not lacking. That displays ignorance on the part of the person assuming.

As an example, I do not know your level of knowledge, and have never met you, which is why I don't have any reason to question your sincerity and observation of another person as possibly being an attempt to belittle another person.

I have met Mr. Physics. I have his book. I have read it. It is a fine contribution to numismatics, in my opinion. It is the basis of why I labeled his commentary as a fellow author smack-down. It is surprising to me that he would comment at all without reading the book. It strikes me as lack of manners. If another numismatic author was to offer the same commentary on the book by Mr. Physics, without having read it and then asking others if anything new is in it, I am fairly certain Mr. Physics may have a response similar. I would also make the same commentary on his behalf if it had been done to him.

Laughing is good. It keeps us young and the heart healthy.

I have the same questions. I already have everything Rick has published up to this point. I love his work but already understand PDS. If there is other new information, I'll buy the book.

I just realized Mr. Idhair had not bought the book yet. I had missed his post, re. not knowing if there is any other new information. Had I read that, My previous post could have been shortened somewhat, because I would have known he was not aware because he had not bought it, which suggests he is relying on others to inform him. That makes sense.

I just realized Mr. Idhair had not bought the book yet. I had missed his post, re. not knowing if there is any other new information. Had I read that, My previous post could have been shortened somewhat, because I would have known he was not aware because he had not bought it, which suggests he is relying on others to inform him. That makes sense.

I'm still laughing about how little you understand. Try reading what has actually been said in this thread. Hope you figure it out.

All I can do is laugh at you and your lack of understanding the topic.

Were you able to buy the book yet and discover if there is anything new that enhances your understanding of the topic....the topic being the third edition?

It may be similar to buying a new dictionary every year, because new words are added. But, you never know until you buy the book and read it, instead of asking others if there is anything new. It is not that expensive. Opining in a suggestive manner that it is suspect that the book is of any use/importance/interest and questioning any value to be had from the purchase, is in fact the very definition of a smack-down, and is in my opinion discourteous, and especially so when another numismatic author deems it necessary to comment concerning the work of a fellow author, when the book has not even been read by the author presenting the question.

It is also somewhat similar to assuming another person lacks knowledge of a subject, yet there is no knowledge of what the level of knowledge of the person actually is or is not lacking. That displays ignorance on the part of the person assuming.

As an example, I do not know your level of knowledge, and have never met you, which is why I don't have any reason to question your sincerity and observation of another person as possibly being an attempt to belittle another person.

I have met Mr. Physics. I have his book. I have read it. It is a fine contribution to numismatics, in my opinion. It is the basis of why I labeled his commentary as a fellow author smack-down. It is surprising to me that he would comment at all without reading the book. It strikes me as lack of manners. If another numismatic author was to offer the same commentary on the book by Mr. Physics, without having read it and then asking others if anything new is in it, I am fairly certain Mr. Physics may have a response similar. I would also make the same commentary on his behalf if it had been done to him.

Laughing is good. It keeps us young and the heart healthy.

;)