• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Small motto 2 cent piece

6 posts in this topic

In the old days, this coin would have graded Fine because I think that the "WE" in the motto is weakly visible. Today I have no doubt that it is at least a VF-30 if not an EF-40.

The grading for Two Cent Pieces has become breath takingly lose.

Two different long term dealers said that this coin could not grade above good because of the weak motto on the coin. Any guesses?

I don' think that is true at all. Seen plenty of VG and Fine 2 cents with weaker mottos than this.

At that grade it looks like a bargain to me if any of the "WE" is visible. Even back in the '60s the Small Motto Two Cent pieces at Gimbals coin counter that graded VF had the "WE" missing.

BTW this coin is not that tough. When I was a dealer I handled several of them. I even cherry picked a couple of them from dealers who failed to note the variety. One of those was a very strong VF-EF. There is really no excuse for missing that if you are a professional dealer in U.S. Coins.