• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1922 high relief silver dollar question

21 posts in this topic

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1922 high relief silver dollar, it has not been graded so I am trying to get an idea of price and authenticity. It also has a mint flaw it was struck hard and has a bowl to it, you can see where it was struck in the photos.

Welcome to the forum.

Your images are not showing. Please do not buy the coin unless or until it is certified as such by a highly reputable grading company and you have solid knowledge regarding its value. Otherwise, chances are excellent that you will end up thinking you have a really good deal, when, in fact, you have a terrible one.

1922 high relief Peace dollar have a somewhat "dished" appearance on the obverse due to the design, but "striking hard" will not distort the coin.

As Mark noted, we need to see good photos to be of any help.

While it's possible that a raw high-relief 1922 is out there, it's orders of magnitude more likely that the item you're looking at isn't genuine or is a regular-relief 1922 dollar. The genuine article is a six-figure coin. There are zero reasons to spend that kind of money on a coin without outside certification of its authenticity and condition.

Welcome to the forum!

cIt is not letting me post the picture if you pm me with your email I will send the pics via email or if someone gets my pictures and they can post them on here it would be appreciated

1 guy stated that, "low relief is like Appalachian Mountains and high relief is like Rocky Mountains."

Here are a pictures from other website that you can compare between high and low relief:

Low relief

1922_peace_dollar_low_relief_matte_obv_zpsanz3hais.jpg1922_peace_dollar_low_relief_matte_rev_zps2h43wmz6.jpg

high relief

1922_peace_dollar_high_relief_obv_zpsrr0xkdze.jpg1922_peace_dollar_high_relief_rev_zpszqcgyjep.jpg

Therefore it looks like your's is low relief.

You can see the different between 1922 Peace Dollar high relief and low relief. Some people said that low relief is like Appalachian Mountains and high relief is like Rocky Mountains.

Here are a pictures from other website that you can compare between high and low relief:

Low relief

1922_peace_dollar_low_relief_matte_obv_zpsanz3hais.jpg1922_peace_dollar_low_relief_matte_rev_zps2h43wmz6.jpg

high relief

1922_peace_dollar_high_relief_obv_zpsrr0xkdze.jpg1922_peace_dollar_high_relief_rev_zpszqcgyjep.jpg

So it looks like your's is low relief.

The images you posted appear to be of Matte Proof examples. And, if that's the case, while the coin in question appears to be a low relief, showing images of Proofs, rather than business strikes, probably isn't the best apples to apples comparison.

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like about an $18 coin to me.

^This

Tom, am I remembering correctly that there are one or more circulation strike 1922 high reliefs known, or were they all stuck as Proofs? Thank you.

And, if that's the case, while the coin in question appears to be a low relief, showing images of Proofs, rather than business strikes, probably isn't the best apples to apples comparison.

Except there are difference in the design between the high relief and the low relief hubs. On the obv the spikes are noticeably thicker on the high relief and the spike just right of the E barely extends above the bottom bar of the E. On the low relief the spikes are thinner and the spike by the E extend up nearly to the middle of the E.

On the reverse the most instantly noticeable difference is the spike that runs through the N of ONE. On the high relief it extends almost over the middle of the O, while on the low relief it doesn't extend past the left upright of the N. These differences between the high and low relief is true on both the business strikes and proofs.

Those design differences show that the OP coin is a low relief.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It looks somewhat like the sole Medium Relief coin known, which NGC certified about 15 years ago:

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-varieties/peace-dollar-die-varieties/1922-medium-relief-s1-4477/

The difference, however, is that the OP's coin is lacking the leftmost ray under ONE, and so it is not from the same reverse as the MR coin. The obverse is slightly different, too, as the tip of Liberty's bust does not fully cover the top of the 9, as it does on the MR dollar. This suggests that it's simply a well struck entry from the normal dies for 1922's mass production.

Out of curiosity, how much was he asking for the coin? I'm skeptical that you know enough to understand how rare the HR 1922 is but not enough to know how unlikely a raw coin from a random seller is to be real.

No part of the OP's pictured coin is "high relief." However, it is dated "1922." The dirt and tarnish make the relief look more prominent than it really is.

Proof 1922 (1922HR/rev 21, HR, MR, etc.) come from the same dies as trial production pieces, and have identical design characteristics.

Check "A Guide Book of Peace Dollars" 3rd edition (Whitman Pub LLC) for details, design link chart, and photos.

^This

Tom, am I remembering correctly that there are one or more circulation strike 1922 high reliefs known, or were they all stuck as Proofs? Thank you.

There was a business strike 1922 High Relief in that small hoard of special dollars sold by the descendants of the Director of the Mint in the Stack's-Bowers "Rarities Night" sale at the ANA in Rosemont in August, 2014.

I wrote an article on the group in COINage in late 2014.

TD

^This

There was a business strike 1922 High Relief in that small hoard of special dollars sold by the descendants of the Director of the Mint in the Stack's-Bowers "Rarities Night" sale at the ANA in Rosemont in August, 2014.

I wrote an article on the group in COINage in late 2014.

TD

Thanks, I thought another one had been discovered prior to that.

There was also a trial strike Medium Relief (which was incorrectly attributed) and two or three 1922HR/1921 rev trial strikes that reached circulation.

None of the HR/MR etc. 1922 piece were deliberately struck for circulation.

(PS: All coins are part of the Mint's business and thus the tern "business strike" is misleading. Using more specific terminology will avoid future confusion.)

Some great Peace Dollar information posted in this thread.

I'm trying to place it all in my small brain.

I'll probably have to write it down so it doesn't fade away.

Thanks all.