• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Q Antonius Balbus Denarius

7 posts in this topic

So, I've been dabbling in the ancient coisn a bit lately, although I still have zero idea what direction I want to go or what I want to collect in the ancient realm. So, I'm just going to buy a few and see what sticks. To that end, I present to you my first big ancient purchase. I saw a recent sales thread from our friend Zohar, and his taste is impeccable. I picked 2 that I liked, and they just arrived today. This is the first, I'll post the other in a couple of days.

This is a serrate denarius from Q. Antonius Balbus, c 83/82 BC. The obverse features Jupiter, and the reverse has Victory in a quadriga.

It is graded by NGC as Ch AU, with a * for eye appeal. NGC gave it 5/5 for strike, and 5/5 for surfaces.

I may be a novice at ancients, but to me this is a stunning coin, and I am pleased to own it! So, any comments are welcome, or examples you may have.

IMG_2116_zpsmr94cfic.jpg

IMG_2130_zpsezj6flx6.jpg

I love it. Gorgeous piece. Even in the photo I can see a ton of flow lines. None of my Romans are that old (farthest back I go is the Trajan quadrans I won in the coin club raffle). They do not often come along that attractive.

Very nice example!

What can you tell us about the serrate edge?

From Forum Ancient Coins:

Q. Antonius Balbus was a member of the Marian party, and in 82 BC was appointed praetor of Sardinia. Before leaving for Sardinia a denarius was struck by order of the Senate. At the time the senate was dominated by members of the Marian party. The denarius was produced to pay the army preparing to resist the return of Sulla. The reverse imagery reflects the expectations of the senate and of Q. Antonius Balbus. Unfortunately for Balbus, Sulla was victorious in the battle of the Colline gate. Q. Antonius Balbus was removed from his position as praetor by L. Philippus and killed.

Very nice example!

What can you tell us about the serrate edge?

From Forum Ancient Coins:

Q. Antonius Balbus was a member of the Marian party, and in 82 BC was appointed praetor of Sardinia. Before leaving for Sardinia a denarius was struck by order of the Senate. At the time the senate was dominated by members of the Marian party. The denarius was produced to pay the army preparing to resist the return of Sulla. The reverse imagery reflects the expectations of the senate and of Q. Antonius Balbus. Unfortunately for Balbus, Sulla was victorious in the battle of the Colline gate. Q. Antonius Balbus was removed from his position as praetor by L. Philippus and killed.

Fascinating history :)

I'm afraid I can't tell you much about the serrated edge. This is a discussion I've been having with the ancient guys over on the CoinTalk ancients forum (which is far more active than here): https://www.cointalk.com/threads/q-antonius-balbus-denarius.285306/