• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Help Please...

7 posts in this topic

The coin looks to be AU, but with verdigris at the throat area of Lincoln. I have some concerns about the mint mark (having been added). Did you acquire it from a seller from whom you have a return privilege?

With so many certified examples available to choose from, why buy an uncertified example of an issue so well known for counterfeits and added mint marks?

The coin looks to be AU, but with verdigris at the throat area of Lincoln. I have some concerns about the mint mark (having been added).

I was seconds away from posting exactly the same thing when I saw your post.

I agree with MarkFeld.

In the old days, it would have been an EF-40.

Now it will be at least EF-45, probably AU-50.

I have one like this that was a VF-20 on the ANA papers (early 1980s). Our hosts graded it EF-40, which was actually more accurate. I'm on an iPad so I can't post pictures right now.

Here's my coin:

1909SVDBOjpg.jpg1909SVDBRjpg-1.jpg

As for the stuff on Lincoln's neck, see if you can push it off with a toothpick. I'm not kidding. Sometimes that can be done.

As for the mint mark, anything is possible with these coins because there are so many fakes. The coin doesn't look bad to me, but the other two guys have their concerns. It looks like it's the right shape, but you have check these things with at least a 10X to find a tiny die chip that inside the letter.

I agree with the others. As a retail customer I won't buy one of these coins raw. If I was a dealer, I'd spend some time with it, and only make an advantageous offer that allowed me to cover the certification costs and some betting room if I happened to goof up and buy a bad one.

As a dealer I would NEVER sell one of these coins raw ... NEVER because of all the fakes.

It looks AU 50 to me. I agree that the vertigris might come off if poked with a toothpick. Just don't rub back and forth.

Part of encapsulation is authenticating the coin. Send it in and see.

I agree with Mark, the "S" MM looks off.

I'd grade it AU 53 - with reservation - let

us know what the TPG says.... Genuine

- or otherwise. Good luck.