• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Digital Cameras

9 posts in this topic

I know this has probably been discussed numerous times, but I'll touch the topic again.

What typically is the best camera for catching color and/or luster?

What camera has the best macro ability?

I use a Sony Cybershot camera, but I find it to not be that great. It says it has a macro ability, but I looked over and over the macro section in the manual, and it doesn't really show how you do it. Any opinions on this camera?

"Doing my part to get back to coin related topics. Take note people."

I recently bought a Nikon Cool Pix 4300 ($500) and I am very pleased with its ability to capture color and luster. Here is one of the pictures I have shot with it:

1883 Morgan

Many cameras can work well. I've found it's more about technique and using Photoshop more than the camera in particular. However, great optics make for exceptional clarity and the rest can be fixed. Usually the companies that make film cameras with great optics make great optics for their digital cameras. In the digital realm, especially, you'll need to do a bit of post processing.

Myself, I use a Ricoh RDC 4300 camera. It's what I would consider average. It does a good job, and I try to tweak it's results with lighting techniques and correction in Photoshop.

I'm not familiar with your camera, but switching to macro mode shouldn't be hard. Usually it's a dial or setting with a flower on it indicating a closeup shot. It's good, generally, for shots of 1.5" to 8".

Neil

What typically is the best camera for catching color and/or luster?

I'm no photographer, but I think the salient issues for color and luster are coin positioning (like slightly tilted) and light source.

I think most digital cameras with a macro feature will do just fine.

EVP