• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1931 S Lincoln Wheat Cent ~ Should Grade Higher ?

Lincoln 1931s ~ MS-64 or MS-65  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Lincoln 1931s ~ MS-64 or MS-65

30 posts in this topic

This is a 1931 s Lincoln Wheat Cent. We're taking a poll relative to the grade given by ANACS. Should this be graded a MS-64 RB of MS-65 RB? Either you believe that the coin is a 64 or 65 .

* Poll Attached.

Specifications of Lincoln Wheat Cent:

Bronze Composite Penny

Mintage: 866,000 Minted at: San Francisco

Designer - Engraver: Victor D Brenner

Metal Composition: 95% Copper - 5% Tin and Zinc

Diameter: 19 mm Mass / Weight: 3.11 grams

OBVERSE

2cr0wuv.jpg

21al1eq.jpg

REVERSE

10r1ppc.jpg

263v49i.jpg

This is confusing because you want us to guess between two options; yet your suggestion that it "should grade higher" indicates that it has to be graded 64RB. This negates any need to block out the grade on the slab.

That said, it has the potential to grade MS65 RB, but the pictures are not good enough to split hairs. The best thing going for it is the lack of carbon spots.

This is confusing because you want us to guess between two options; yet your suggestion that it "should grade higher" indicates that it has to be graded 64RB. This negates any need to block out the grade on the slab.

That said, it has the potential to grade MS65 RB, but the pictures are not good enough to split hairs. The best thing going for it is the lack of carbon spots.

Perhaps the current grade is less than 64.

no vote. what these guys said above makes sense to me.

There are many viable options presented as being legitimate. However, one must think to analyze the premise. The poll shall be 'open' for a while. We're weeding out the candidates of known stature, rather seeking all responses to determine additional information which must come from the individual. Enough said.

no vote. what these guys said above makes sense to me.

There are many viable options presented as being legitimate. However, one must think to analyze the premise. The poll shall be 'open' for a while. We're weeding out the candidates of known stature, rather seeking all responses to determine additional information which must come from the individual. Enough said.

I see only three options presented: 1) 64RB; 2) 65RB; 3) 64RB and 65RB.

There are no other options - neither a higher grade, a lower grade, a different color designation or a details grade option. The poll is set up to elicit biased responses.

To me it's no better that MS-63. Too many marks for anything higher. Typical cent pulled from a bag.

The trouble with blown-up pictures is that they often make any mark look more important that it actually is. This is one of the adjustments that you have to make when you use a 10x glass on a coin.

Given what I've seen on some Lincoln Cents in MS-65 holders, MS-64 might be too low for this coin, but I don't want to cave in to that sort of "grade-flatiron."

Good and reasonable comment, but it does not change what the coin is or is not.

As for "We're weeding out the candidates of known stature," is that by height of weed or something else? Maybe Ortho® Weed B Gon® would help with that task?

Good and reasonable comment, but it does not change what the coin is or is not.

As for "We're weeding out the candidates of known stature," is that by height of weed or something else? Maybe Ortho® Weed B Gon® would help with that task?

* Providing a secondary poll with a 1931D Lincoln Cent, seeing that controversy has crept up here. Please take no offense at the 'weeding'

"I'll guess MS63RB."

Agreed.

PS: There is no "controversy" - rather, individuals expressed different opinions - and in reality, that's all a "grade" is. ;)

"I'll guess MS63RB."

Agreed.

PS: There is no "controversy" - rather, individuals expressed different opinions - and in reality, that's all a "grade" is. ;)

Would most certainly agree with your synopsis. However, the poll is still outstanding so we'd rather not say at this time. A more expansive poll has been posted for a 31D Lincoln Cent. We've added some additional photos where we believe there is sufficient surface area to determine an approximate grade. Thanks.

"I'll guess MS63RB."

Agreed.

Would most certainly agree with your synopsis. However, the poll is still outstanding so we'd rather not say at this time. A more expansive poll has been posted for a 31D Lincoln Cent. We've added some additional photos where we believe there is sufficient surface area to determine an approximate grade. Thanks.

You aren't really going to get any more/different/better responses, so you might as well post the grade now.

To me it's no better that MS-63. Too many marks for anything higher. Typical cent pulled from a bag.

The trouble with blown-up pictures is that they often make any mark look more important that it actually is. This is one of the adjustments that you have to make when you use a 10x glass on a coin.

Given what I've seen on some Lincoln Cents in MS-65 holders, MS-64 might be too low for this coin, but I don't want to cave in to that sort of "grade-flatiron."

We believe that coins are graded using a 5 lens, no more.

"I'll guess MS63RB."

Agreed.

You aren't really going to get any more/different/better responses, so you might as well post the grade now.

There seems to be a few wise men, one in particular. Patience, we wish to gather the flock.

Well, so much for the poll. We did not believe that any would look up the certification. But; we would really like to see the skill of those numismatists, and graders, determining the grade of the Lincoln cent (1931D) as posted to the below link.

Let us see your talent.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9575768#Post9575768

I will guess MS-64RB since that's what the ANACS certification number comes back with. :P

That was very poor form.

That's fine. We just provided an additional poll whereby not any can determine the grade without any knowledge.

Non-coin question for the OP.... is there more than one of you, or do you prefer to write in the third person, or is there a case of "dissociative identity disorder" ?

Just curious.

Non-coin question for the OP.... is there more than one of you, or do you prefer to write in the third person, or is there a case of "dissociative identity disorder" ?

Just curious.

"Actually", it is the First Person Plural. If you could spell properly, "WE" may have believed you.