• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016-D Roosevelt DDR- Confirmed! WDDR-001, WDDR-002, WDDR-003A, WDDR-003B

49 posts in this topic

Oh, OK.... ;) I was being obtuse in interpretation of the idiom.

Yes, I sensed deviation from the forum argot; yet thought I'd be pointed with the specific provenance of discoveries! :grin:

Here is John Wexler's written summary on the 2016-D WDDR-001. His photo is far superior to what I was able to produce. Also, he noted die gouge between the "2" and "0" of date. Admittedly; I didn't know this, and learned something!

Wexler Die Varieties: http://www.doubleddie.com/2247737.html

Thanks,

Rich

I looked around on Ebay too, and pictures don't capture enough detail. If you're roll hunting for these; Loomis would probably be your best bet. They supplied the dimes to the bank where I acquired the DDR's. Good luck!

Rich

I looked around on Ebay too, and pictures don't capture enough detail. If you're roll hunting for these; Loomis would probably be your best bet. They supplied the dimes to the bank where I acquired the DDR's. Good luck!

Rich

Confirmed! Bought 10 rolls of Loomis 2016-D's on Ebay, opened 2 rolls and found 8 DDR's!!!

Rich

Confirmed! Bought 10 rolls of Loomis 2016-D's on Ebay, opened 2 rolls and found 8 DDR's!!!

I bought 5 rolls of Loomis 2016Ds from the midwest. They just arrived. Wish me luck!

Interesting hunt: I haven't gone back to the North Clinton First Federal Bank in Defiance, Ohio where I found the 3 DDR's; but shifted my focus to the surrounding First Federal branches in Northwest Ohio looking for 2016-D's in hopes of tracking the distribution of these Roosevelt's, and finding a few more DDR's. Well, I did find $200 of 2016-D's in Napoleon, OH, and another $85 in Wauseon, OH. I searched these rolls- total of 2,850 2016-D's, and found no DDR's...I cleared out the Northwest Ohio branches of 2016-D's- except for the Defiance location so as to provide others a chance to find.

I did buy 10 rolls from the Ebay seller as previously mentioned, and found more DDR's; I bought 5 more rolls from same seller, and found 27 DDR's total out of 7 rolls searched! The seller on Ebay has more available rolls...last I looked - 4.

In regards to the DDR's; I've noticed 3 distinct types of doubling with the bands: Strong Doubling, Medium Doubling, and Faint Doubling South of Bands. I have pictures below to distinguish the Strong Doubling from the Faint Doubling South of Bands. The Medium Doubling is too hard to distinguish with my pictures against the Strong Doubling but there is a noticeable difference between those two. Would this be splitting hairs, or, should I send John Wexler the other two doubled band varieties?

Thanks,

Rich

165692.jpg.da8a84e01f0a63091501d42180a9da73.jpg

165693.jpg.ffad439ce8abeb7ca82d83f65980be6c.jpg

165694.jpg.12fe37ecf34a2c5a6afd7e1ed3c27d35.jpg

Those look like different varieties to me. It is entirely possible that, in your thorough searching, you have discovered 2 more DDRs. Do these other ones have the die gouge at date that was identified with the first one?

I have noticed that often, when one type of doubling is seen for a date, there are several dies with the same type of doubling. It is likely a process failure at the mint, or an entire batch of dies were messed up, rather than a single fluke accident.

Jason, I haven't been able to match up the die gouge on the obverse that's on the Defiance DDR compared to the other Strong, Medium, and Faint Doubling South of Bands.

Interesting...probably should send out these 3 too?

Thanks,

Rich

Wow that's exciting! You pointed out the difference to the Defiance DDR Jason, so I'll make sure John Wexler is aware of your participation in this discovery if they are new DDR varieties.

Thanks!

Rich

I just received email today from John Wexler confirming three new varieties I sent him: WDDR-002, WDDR-003A, and WDDR-003B. I will be sure to post the links to these varieties once he updates his website.

I also have 8 unopened rolls of 2016-D's that contain the WDDR-002, 003A, 003B. I will be offering a giveaway for (1) unopened roll. This will be similar to the giveaway I've done before with the WDDR-001, posted both here and ATS. Please be sure to check back if you wish a chance to participate. I will post details for the giveaway in the next few days.

Thanks,

Rich

Thank you Jason!

Per John Wexler's email, he indicates the WDDR-003A as a new listing for his doubled die files. The WDDR-003B he indicates as a new stage listing for his doubled die files. That's all the info I have in email. So, perhaps you're right with different die states. We'll have to wait and see when he updates his website- should be soon.

Rich

I'll be posting the giveaway for (1) roll around 7pm EST. tomorrow for those who want to participate here and ATS. Will be in a separate thread. Should be good!

Thanks,

Rich