• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Exonumia ~ (Medallion) > USS Constitution / ‘View’

16 posts in this topic

This is the USS Constitution Medallion, in which I purchased many at the initial offering; at the Charlestown Navy Yard in Massachusetts in 1999. If there are any interested, you can PM me at your convenience. These were purchased as ‘specimens’ . Mostly all coins are of the U.S. with some relics from other countries.

Specifications

USS Constitution Collector’s Medallion

Composition: 99.8% copper, balance trace metals

Origin of Copper: Sheathing removed from USS Constitution’s hull during maintenance, 1974 and after.

Diameter 1 ½ inch

Weight: 23.11 grams

Quantity Struck: 5000 pieces plus 200 for the artist

Struck At: Providence, Rhode Island, 1999

Obverse:

USS Constitution in portrait under sail with the inscription “USS CONSTITUTION/ OLD IRONSIDES”

Reverse:

A 24 pound long gun in detail with the inscription “The Ship! Never Has She Failed Us!” ~ William Bainbridge

OBVERSE

2uekw38.jpg

REVERSE

2lkfwc6.jpg

Interesting "relic" medal. Nice that they got the flag & pennants in the right direction!

(PS: It might be helpful if you cropped out the background. That way the coin or medal will be easier to view.)

A little large for most screens, but easier to view than the uncropped versions. Also, less light fall off will help, then color balancing will be more visually effective.

Is that the correct cannon and mount -- it looks French....?

Those were the exact cannons positioned on the ship on the port, and starboard sides. I do not know too much about cannons but they looked American made. We asked a few questions regarding those aspects, including how they could hear all that noise with cannon bursts. What was stated to us were that the sailors used the handkerchiefs wrapped around their neck to insert in their ears as a 'muffle'. Apparently there were no earplugs then.

Highly unlikely that French cannons would be on a USS warship but you possibly could be correct. I always believed that the English were some of the finest fleets back then. What I majored in escapes my memory, 'history'.

* The light has always been a detriment in taking photos. Using the plastic lens compensates for some distraction. I'll stay with your suggestion 800 pixels. That is the exact measurement seeming to be suitable.

Interesting "relic" medal. Nice that they got the flag & pennants in the right direction!

(PS: It might be helpful if you cropped out the background. That way the coin or medal will be easier to view.)

* You're pretty sharp for you are absolutely correct as the flags being in a forward direction. Not many, if any would notice such detail. You must be very keen upon examining any coinage. There have been abundant conversations on the position of the flags contrasting with the sails. It would only stand to reason that if the sails are full, the flags would be in the same direction.

The flag direction on a sailing ship always matches the wind direction. That is, a sailing ship cannot move faster than the wind. Line engravers - ones who had never seen a ship under sail? - occasionally ignored this because a backward-furling flag made it look like the ship was moving faster.

If any sailing ship were to exceed the local windspeed, the sails would furl the opposite direction, and flags would point to the stern.

Simply put, no sailing vessel can move through water (or anything else) faster than the wind that propels it. It's very basic physics...understood even by 5th grade art students.

... a sailing ship cannot move faster than the wind. ...

That is false.

Sailing faster than the wind

But you are correct in that some illustrators would be tempted to show the banners waving in a direction opposite of the ship motion.

These are pointing with the wind:

ble_2013_bp.1.jpg

* Nice pick-up regarding the wind. Perused the link in Wikipedia which appears valid. Very nice coin. Could you elaborate on the specifics if you have time. Thank you.

I don't believe you can find an article where a massive wooden ship ever sailed faster than the wind.

We are talking about that, not modern carbon fiber catamarans.

A blanket statement was made "a sailing ship can not move faster than the wind". The statement is false. No caveat was expressed as to the type of ship or the conditions until after I pointed out the falsehood. Then a grade-school level insult was thrown (nothing new there).

Here is the Reliance which was built in Rhode Island and won the America's Cup races in 1903. It could sail faster than the wind:

image002.jpg

The wikidoodle example has no bearing on the subject of discussion. PS: tacking is not sailing with the wind.

You can try and trivialize Wikipedia, but the person who wrote that "wikidoodle" knows a lot more about sailing than you do. That much is painfully obvious.

That is false.

But you are correct in that some illustrators would be tempted to show the banners waving in a direction opposite of the ship motion.

ble_2013_bp.1.jpg

* Nice pick-up regarding the wind. Perused the link in Wikipedia which appears valid. Very nice coin. Could you elaborate on the specifics if you have time. Thank you.

Thanks,

The Perry medals were minted for the bicentennial of the Battle of Lake Erie. Sets of the medals were donated to three museums including the US Navy museum at Annapolis, and Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial at Put-In-Bay Ohio.

Mintages of the various types are listed here (see the 5th section from the top):

Commemorative Medals by Moonlight Mint & Daniel Carr

I don't believe you can find an article where a massive wooden ship ever sailed faster than the wind.

We are talking about that, not modern carbon fiber catamarans.

A blanket statement was made "a sailing ship can not move faster than the wind". The statement is false. No caveat was expressed as to the type of ship or the conditions until after I pointed out the falsehood. Then a grade-school level insult was thrown (nothing new there).

Here is the Reliance which was built in Rhode Island and won the America's Cup races in 1903. It could sail faster than the wind:

image002.jpg

The wikidoodle example has no bearing on the subject of discussion. PS: tacking is not sailing with the wind.

You can try and trivialize Wikipedia, but the person who wrote that "wikidoodle" knows a lot more about sailing than you do. That much is painfully obvious.

Surely, we would agree with that consensus as being highly relevant, no offense to others.

That is false.

ble_2013_bp.1.jpg

Thanks,

The Perry medals were minted for the bicentennial of the Battle of Lake Erie. Sets of the medals were donated to three museums including the US Navy museum at Annapolis, and Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial at Put-In-Bay Ohio.

Mintages of the various types are listed here (see the 5th section from the top):

Commemorative Medals by Moonlight Mint & Daniel Carr

Thank you very much.