• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Edge Lettering on American Eagles

11 posts in this topic

Congress legislates, the Executive implements, the Judiciary resolves disputes.

Works the same in all the states, too.

I just received my 2016 proof AE. The edge lettering looks junky. I am not sure why they would not just put a 30th in the field. Kind of like the Canadian privy marks on coins.

It was my understanding that Canada ordered a lot of privies to be built. For all I know, they still do. Goodness knows they need them now more than ever, from what I gather.

Because Congress told them to do this.

I don't believing Congress told them to put the lettering on the edge, but to put something on the face of the coin would probably have been considered a change in design and would have required Congressional approval. Adding the edge lettering was something the mint could do on it's own initiative.

Why have any "special" issue for this meaningless anniversary?

Because collectors will buy it. We will probably see a jump in proof silver eagle sales this year.

Because Congress told them to do this.

I don't believing Congress told them to put the lettering on the edge, but to put something on the face of the coin would probably have been considered a change in design and would have required Congressional approval. Adding the edge lettering was something the mint could do on it's own initiative.

I believe it was included in the FAST act that wasn't passed until last December conder