• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Today is National Talk Like A Pirate Day!

14 posts in this topic

Do you mean:

"Ahoy, thare! So you want to sell coin that, eh? Yeah, OK, I see it says MS68 but look at those marks and it's not fully struck. Maybe MS63 tops. Besides, the market is really weak on these and I've got too many in inventory as it is. Tell youse what -- I'll take it off your hands for 50% of Blue Book ....that seems fair to me? OK....OK.....?" (Followed by sound of person running in opposite direction, cracking of an oak board plank, and the splash of a body into shark-infested waters...)

"8 S" is Eight Scudi

Scudo and Escudo are Latin and Spanish words for "Shield".

Scudi is the plural of Scudo.

Gold 8 Escudos is a Doubloon, Silver 8 Reales is a "Piece of Eight".

Pirates would know this.

post_portugal_moidore_1704.jpg

Portugal Gold Moidore or 4000 Reis 1704

29.4mm, 10.76gm

Moidores were favorite coins of pirates and buccaneers, and mentioned in Robert Louis Stevenson's book Treasure Island.

:)

"Gold 8 Escudos is a Doubloon, Silver 8 Reales is a "Piece of Eight".

Pirates would know this."

True, but my parrot died so I forgot. (The parrot is still in his cage "resting" according to the Python crew.)

Here is the only "pirate" gold piece I have, a Doubloon. This coin was worth $16 U.S. dollar.
Yes, 8 escudos. 1 escudo = $2.

Gold 8 Escudos is a Doubloon, Silver 8 Reales is a "Piece of Eight".

Though commonly called a doubloon, it is actually a quadruple doubloon. The actual doubloon denomination was the 2 escudo. and I believe it would be correct to refer to either the 8 escudo or the 8 reales as "pieces of 8"

I'll stick with the "resting" parrot....

[At first glance, I read the title as "Talk Like A Pyrite." Too many vitamin pills, I guess.]

I'll stick with the "resting" parrot....

[At first glance, I read the title as "Talk Like A Pyrite." Too many vitamin pills, I guess.]

...it's vit-a-min, not vita-min

(been watching too much Bear Grylls)